PDA

View Full Version : small leak??

mapleleaf
12-13-2008, 09:15 PM
for the half dozen trips out this summer.... it seemed as though while drifting the boat was water tight, sounds normal I know, while on a plane, 20mph or better, the boat seemed to take on water slowly so after a few skiers I would turn on the bilge. I checked the hull for cracks and found nothing, is there a common seal the could go bad or any other reasonable explanation???

Sorry Morphix, I think the pink's gotta go, nobody up here seems to fond of it, myself included....although I am aware that changing the color could be bad luck!

leetudor
12-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Could be the shaft packing, has it been tightened or replaced?

mapleleaf
12-14-2008, 10:04 PM
not recently, something I'll do this winter, was hoping for that advice to know where to start...

csuggs
12-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Also keep in mind that with skiers coming out of the water and into your boat, they are bringing unwanted water into your interior and onto the floor, seats, etc. Some more than others. Most of that water is going to end up in the bilge area. My understanding of shaft seals is that if they are going to leak, they will leak when sitting idle. When the boat is moving, a slight vacuum is created in the shaft cavity (like a venturi effect) so no water should enter when the boat is on a plane. Also, I believe the newer mechanical seals are more reliable than the packing gland seals, and actually seal better when sitting idle in the water because the water pressure from under the boat enhances the mechanical seal.

Salty87
12-15-2008, 05:55 PM
ever take on water with no one swimming or riding?

mapleleaf
12-15-2008, 09:18 PM
once salty, it was more of a center plug issue, as you may know it was A LOT more water! Now that I'm not laughing.....This seems to be more than wet bodies, but not the titanic I wondered if it could the intake seals??? Still really green 'round my Supra....

csuggs
12-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Another thing you might check is your silicone seal that goes all the way around the boat just below and inside of the rub rail. If there are gaps, water can get in. Just trying to help you look at all the angles. I thought I had a leak when I first got my Sunsport. Then the first time I was out with no skiers - no water in the boat! P.S. I also found out that you really get a lot of water in the bilge when you take a roller over the bow! lol - turned into my own wake too slow to retrieve a skier and soaked my 12 year-old in the bow! :cool:

Salty87
12-16-2008, 10:33 AM
yeah, the plug doesn't take too long to figure out. lol

take a look at your prop shaft and see if you have packing or dripless. the packing gland will have 2 large nuts where the shaft exits the hull, dripless will have a stainless steel ring on the shaft pushing a rubber boot toward the stern. this is the most likely source.

other sources...rudder, exhaust, swim platform, rub rail, tracking fins, engine cooling leak/intake...

lift the engine cover next time you're out and see if you can narrow it down some.

DKJBama92Mariah
12-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Concur with Salty,

Run the boat without the engine cover. Better yet, just pull the whole doghouse off the boat and pull up the center floorboard behind the motor (should be 4 screws holding it down). Then have a helper drive the boat while you search for leaks. You'll need to pull that floor piece up anyway to tighten the packing nut if that's your problem.

mapleleaf
12-16-2008, 07:01 PM
thanks, but who says the floor behind the engine still has screws in it? that's my please don't step there spot!