PDA

View Full Version : Does transmission or shaft have shear pins??

jtak
01-06-2009, 10:10 PM
I was backing my 89 Supra Comp away from shore and struck a submerged object. I was at near idle power and moving backwards at a very low speed, as soon as I heard the prop strike the object, I put the boat in neutral and drifted back into deeper water. At that point, I put the boat in gear, but no forward thrust, I tried reverse, same result. I was dead in the water with a prop that wasn't turning. I figured the prop was destroyed so towed the boat back to the ramp and trailered it. I was surprised to see that the prop was damaged, but not destroyed, 2 of 3 blades had pretty good dings in them.
We got the boat home and hooked up the fake a lake so we could run it and see what was going on. It easily shifts into both fwd and reverse, but no aural indication that it has gone into gear and no shaft rotation .
Anyone have an opinion on this??. My hope is that the tranny has pins or bolts that are designed to fail with a sudden prop strike. If not, I think I have big problems.
I live in Dallas, have a Supra dealer nearby, but just trying to gain some insight before I contact them regarding repair.

leetudor
01-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Both ends of the shaft will have keys in them. When you had the boat running did you open the enginge box and see if anything was spinning on that end?

Seabeejamie
01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
lee is right...pull up the engine box and the removable section of floor just aft of the box....inspect your coupling.

jtak
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Much thanks to both of you....I did lift the engine cover to observe the tranny, and with it in fwd gear, there was not shaft rotation.
You mentioned the pins on the shaft. Are they in a location that an average mechanically inclined guy like me can get to or is this definately a job for the $100/hr shop pros??..

Salty87
01-07-2009, 07:02 PM
jtak...there's a plate on the back of the transmission. the coupler on your prop shaft bolts to this plate. you need to look closely to see if the plate/coupler is spinning...not just the shaft.

you might wet the cutless bearing in the strut and see if you can pull on the prop or if there's any wobble.

don't know how to help with the internals of the transmission. the shaft and stuff is pretty easy, save yourself the $'s there.

are you sure the transmission cable is moving the arm on the transmission?

leetudor
01-08-2009, 10:14 AM
If the shaft coupling is spinning then you sheared the key, if the coupling is not spinning then you have transmission troubles.

jtak
01-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks again guys...the boat is in the storage facility..will run over there tonite and see what we got!!...Thanks again for the helpful input..