PDA

View Full Version : 2nd bilge issue (conbrio)

mapleleaf
01-20-2009, 11:30 PM
I have only the switch # 1 bilge hooked up and working, purchased this way, would like to put # 2 back into service, but since it's stowed with the battery I don't know where it originally went. The working bilge now is in the center of the boat.
I'm still learning....

michael hunter
01-21-2009, 12:29 AM
My 89 Sunsport only had one in the middle of the boat.
It has two switches but only one pump.
I have owned since new and I know its never had two.

rickr
01-21-2009, 02:42 AM
I am trying to figure out mine also. I am going to set up one switch for "ON" and one for "AUTO" on the small pump.

My large pump will be hardwired to the battery switch, so it will be "AUTO" all the time.

mapleleaf
01-21-2009, 04:07 PM
I think I like the hardwire idea, my boat will be in a hoist, but people get forgetful. So the small pump pick's up what the large one won't and is set up with a float as well???
I guess the original system was set up with a large and a small set of pumps, or was the one pump wired to 2 switch's like the Sunsport??

rickr
01-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Our boat came with one small Atwood pump. I am not sure how it was wired. I started restoring the boat right after we bought it.

I will wire mine with the SMALL pump taking the main load (dash switches) and the BIG pump as backup, both with float switches. I expect to take a few waves over the bow and stern ;)

mapleleaf
01-21-2009, 06:32 PM
yeah, upside to the conbrio open bow, downside to the conbrio, open bow water chute!!
So you're bypassing your main power disconnect for the large pump and going straight to the battery?? Does the negative then get grounded or does it have to go to the neg post on the battery?
By the way that's some really good look'in work on your comp...

Salty87
01-22-2009, 10:11 AM
saltare's only came with 1 pump....do you guys have 2 thru-hulls too? where's the second one?

technically, you want complete redundancy with a second bilge pump....seperate thru-hulls and seperate switches. wiring the second to full-time auto would be good. the bigger pump should be located so that it only comes on when the primary pump falls behind. people with larger boats will also put an alarm on the second pump.

don't forget a fuse if you go straight to the battery.

rickr
01-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Mapleleaf
Pump will be attached to the "Load" side of the battery switch.
Negative is always connected to the battery and grounded so you can attach bilge ground anywhere it can carry the amps.

+1 w/Salty on our "Other Boat" we have redundant pump including having each pump go to seperate batteries.

Salty
I added a 3/4" thru hull for the #2 pump.

mapleleaf
01-22-2009, 08:29 PM
only one thru hull Salty, that should've explained it a while ago when I couldn't figure out where the second pump was discharging, there never was a second pump! I've got a couple of birdsnest's in the wiring which didn't help me to see how the original pump would have been wired...
Here's the question,
Am I working backwards if I get the interior, wiring and basically everything topside redone and leave the stringers and foam for next winter?? Let's say I was willing to sacrifice some new carpet if need be....

Salty87
01-23-2009, 09:51 AM
i like the over/under, rick

leaf...the 2 projects (wiring and stringers) are so different it wouldn't really matter....except for 1 thing....if you have to pull the top cap off, getting at the wiring is a bunch easier standing on the ground than trying to work under the dash on your back. other than that, doesn't make any difference that i can think of.

rickr
01-23-2009, 10:30 AM
salty
You have got it all wrong ;) I must be more experienced (older) than you.
When wiring, you take a pillow (throw cushion) with you and take a nap under the dash. "The Boss" thinks you are working while you're getting a little "shut eye"

mapleleaf
01-23-2009, 07:06 PM
So if I'll take out the drivers seat so I can stretch out.....
It's a mess under there, I gotta start new from pretty much everything.

rludtke
01-24-2009, 01:43 PM
So I have a related question,

My '87 TS6M has one bilge pump, but two switches. I currently get water in the bilge, so I am diligent about pumping, using the bilge pump switch. The second switch is apparently an "auto" bilge system, but I have never actually had the the pump turn on when in auto. Is it because I haven't let the bilge fill far enough to activate it? Or perhaps it just doesn't work.

Does anybody know how to function test the auto bilge pump system?

Thanks,

Rick

mapleleaf
01-24-2009, 09:31 PM
I don't know what condition you bought your boat in, but I would verify that that the circuit /switch are delivering load to the pump and that it has a functioning float, beyond that I'm pretty new myself and the guys here will either have the answer or lead you to it...rickr's restoration may answer a few questions...
good luck

rickr
01-25-2009, 12:03 PM
rludtke
Check for power and ground going to the pump. Access on the TS6M is thru the deck plate under the passenger seat.
If you have the small white square Atwood pump, it would be hard to check the float switch with out unclipping the upper part of the pump.
Float switches are NOT very durable and they can get fouled.