PDA

View Full Version : Bent Prop Shaft? (2nd try)

ss_skier
08-27-2003, 12:13 AM
Hi. I managed to hit a rock while pulling my son kneeboarding (about 15 mph) behind our 2001 Launch SS. It bent 2 blades on the prop and scraped the other 2. It also sheared off the rudder. I've pulled the prop for repair/replace and removed the rudder assembly for replace. Thanks to this forum, I know how to get the parts. My question is how can I tell whether I bent the prop shaft or the support bearing? I placed a straight edge along the shaft between the bearing and where the shaft enters the hull, and could not detect any wobble or gaps when manually turning the prop. However, I'd like to know if there's a way to measure or detect if I bent the shaft or the bearing/support. I appreciate any suggestions.
thanks
steve
(sorry for the double post, it came up blank the first time)

jsrasband
09-01-2003, 10:43 AM
I'm no mech. but if you checked with a stright edge and it showed to be straight I'd be ready for a test run when I got it back togeather.Props get tore up all the time but shafts are much harder to tear up.If there is a problem you should detect a vibration.
Good luck,watch for rocks.

ski hard
09-03-2003, 12:27 AM
Many of us have had that problem. I did it on a sandbar. I had to replace my new 4 blade, realign the strut and replace the shaft. Look at the bearing in the strut through rotation. If the shaft is centred in the bearing at both the front and the rear for the entire revolution you are in good shape. Best of luck to you.