PDA

View Full Version : Audio Ideas...

TayTay
02-06-2009, 07:46 AM
I am, if the demo works out, buying a 2005 22 SSV in a few weeks and I have been looking into upgrading the stereo system, tower speakers, subwoofer, amp, etc. I had a few questions about it. First off, the equipment I am looking at right now is a Kicker MX700.5 Amp which seems powerful enough power the sub and tower speakers and then Fusion Tower Speakers, not sure which ones yet but they seem reasonably priced. I haven't bought anything yet, probably going to wait to make sure that boat works out and runs good. but I wanted peoples opinions on it and any recommendations to any other brands/ models of a reasonable price range, I'm not looking to spend $1500 on tower speakers. Also, does anybody know any good sources about Dual battery setups and wiring diagrams for hooking everything up. I have been doing a lot of reading and am kind of getting confused, ie switch or isolator, or both, one deep cycle-one starter or two "hybrid" batteries. I know this is a lot of info but if anybody has any advice, I would appreciate it. Thanks

-Anthony

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
02-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Anthony: Kicker is a good choice, I like the Roswell Unison pro speakers{799.00 Canadian,I used three amps on my boat 1 400w 4ch for 6 speakers in
boat,1 360 watt for sub,and 1 360watt for tower speakers, all amps are Clarion.This draws aprox 80 amps so I uprgraded my alternater to 100 amps
from stock 70amp, As for batteries I have 3 Optima 750cca deep cycle marine batteries. I use two batteries paralell onto post #1 on battery switch and other battery onto post #2 for a starting battery if I run my first 2 batts down with stereo I always have a third battery as a backup for starting so we can get home.Some people like to use a isolater between there 2 batteries and that system can work well also.I find battery switches easier to install.
To determine draw from your amps divide total wattage by 14.2v and this will give you your draw on your batteries when stereo is drawing off of battery without boat running.
The Optima marine blue top is ratted 55 amp hour with 750cca they recharge
very fast and I think they are the best marine battery for stereo systems that you can buy.Costco sells them in Canada 156.00 each,Walmart wants 220.00
Hope this helps you decide on number and qaulity of batteries and whether
to use a marine 2 battery switch or a isolater.
Dave

jonyb
02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Do you have anything on the tower now? I cut out my stock cans from my 07 GG boat to install the Wet Sounds XS-650's and they sounded excellent. The Pro60's would be the next step up for around $800/pair. There's no comparison between those 2 though, because the HCLD is more of a sound stage type of setup.

The 700.5 is a pretty decent amp. I've got 2 4-channel kenwood Excelon's and 1 1000W mono Kenwood Excelon amp that will be for sale as soon as I find time to work on my boat. They've been in there for a year and I'll be replacing them with the WS Syn amps. I could sell you all 3 for less than you'd pay for the 700.5.....

If you're boat has 1 battery now, then you can add a battery such as a Stinger or Kinetic that's dedicated to the stereo. Use a Stinger SR200 relay inbetween the 2 batteries to keep the stereo battery isolated from teh main battery. When you turn the ignition key to the on position, the relay opens and allows the stereo battery to be charged by the alternator.

www.stingerelectronics.com

phenom_1819
02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
I have the exact Stinger isolator Jonyb described, works great for me...