PDA

View Full Version : Towing a 24 Launch ssv

wags66
02-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I just Purchased a 2005 24 ssv. I have an 06 Toyota 4runner sport edition with a 4.7 V8. Just wondering if anybody out there has a similar vehicle and had any problems pulling. I pulled it about 6 miles to house when i bought and it seemed fine but my only worry would be any problems with the boat pulling it down the ramp.

tg0824SSVGG
02-10-2009, 04:35 PM
That seems small to me. that is a HEAVY boat (I have the 08 24SSV) - but I live in
Colorado and have to climb hills, etc - all the time - I would want seomthing bigger.

If you're in flatland - and the ramp isn't too steep, you MIGHT be ok -but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way at the bottom of the ramp with wet tires.

For sure, I would take a buddy with me with another 4WD vehicle and a tow strap
the first time.

Good luck!

Beautiful boat, BTW!

TayTay
02-11-2009, 12:36 PM
I have a Toyota 4Runner as well with the V-8. They are rated to tow 7300 or 7500 lbs. I dont remember exactly. I beleive the 24SSV weighs about 4,000. I am not sure about the trailer or gear. I dont know what model of 4Runner you have but I would just slapp it into 4-LO and put it in 1st gear and I dont really see you having any issues. I am buying a '05 22 SSV in two weeks and have to drive it over the mountains in WA so I can let you know how it does if you havent done anything with yours yet. I realize the 22 is not as heavy as the 24 but at least it will give you and idea. Hope thats helps some.

phenom_1819
02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
TayTay, you should be fine with an '05 22, it was smaller than the new generation. Just drop the rig into third gear and you can run that thing at 65mph all day... drop it into 2nd for the hill-climbs and run about 45-50mph.

Wags66, The issue I'd have with your setup isn't power, it will have plenty... the issue I'd have is the fact that your trailer will be LOOOONG and your truck's wheelbase will be (short), and your boat and trailer actually weighs around 5200 lbs, which is probably the same or more than that of your 4runner. That would be a huge concern to me when it comes to stopping. In a hard-breaking or hard-swerving situation, You could potentially get yourself into a less than desirable position... and possibly jack-knife at speed. I used to tow a 21' 4000 lb. boat and trailer with a 2000 4runner and got scared of this happening... this happens every couple years around Central WA where it can be windy, people pull trailers that are too big for their trucks, hit areas of high winds, jack-knife, and roll.

Eventually I sold it to upgrade to a half-ton. Of course, ultimately it's up to you... but if it were me, I'd consider a different tow-rig with a longer wheel-base. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I hope that helps.

Cal

tg0824SSVGG
02-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Well said Cal, that was also my concern - stopping urgently is when things get crazy

wags66
02-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I was not planning on getting a boat until i upgraded rigs but came across a deal i couldn't refuse. I will take this all into consideration. thanks again for good advice.

jonyb
02-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I've towed my 24SSVGG with several different trucks. The current one is an 08 Sierra 1/2 ton 4X4. I wouldn't wanna go any less than that honestly. It's not just pulling the boat, it's up and down hills, start/stopping, etc..... Most 4-Runners I've seen have a pretty weak rear suspension too. They have a bad sag even without a trailer.

mapleleaf
02-12-2009, 08:19 PM
The half-ton wheel base and brake size is definitely a step in the right direction, I had an old 6 cyl. 4-runner that at most I may have towed 3500 lbs. with, needless to say it didn't like it. MY 4.7 litre Tundra feels a little under powered, but has a wheel base long enough for my conbrio, and has lots of stopping power. My old Supra is smaller and lighter than the newer 22's and 24's, but the Tundra double cab works just fine and feels like it has room to tow lots more. I couldn't go back to a 4-Runner now......

TayTay
02-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I am going to be towing a '05 22 SSV with an '05 4.7L 4Runner. Do you think it would be a good idea to look into a brake upgrade. The V8's are rated to tow 7300 lbs I think so I think I will be ok on power, just the shorter wheel base compared to a pickup and possibly braking. Do all trailers come with brakes? I have seen some that do but I am not sure about the boat I am buying.

Also, what about stabalizer bars. Someone told me to look into those but I cant really find what they are talking about online. All I find are ones that stabalize a camper when your sleeping in it, nothing for towing. Thanks for any info.

-Anthony

phenom_1819
02-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Anthony,

I wouldn't worry about a brake upgrade, you'll be fine. If the trailer tongue is putting too much load on your 4runner and making the rear end sag, you might consider adding airbags to the rear springs and a cheap onboard compressor. I had that added to my 4runner for $500 or so total (cheap kit from AirLift).

All wakeboard boats should have brakes on at least one axle... however, Washington state requires boats have brakes on BOTH axles. Oregon does not, I don't believe Idaho requires it either... so if the boat was originally sold out of state, it's something to look in to. Adding brakes to the second axle can be done for about $600 or so.

Cal

TayTay
02-14-2009, 02:18 AM
Anthony,

I wouldn't worry about a brake upgrade, you'll be fine. If the trailer tongue is putting too much load on your 4runner and making the rear end sag, you might consider adding airbags to the rear springs and a cheap onboard compressor. I had that added to my 4runner for $500 or so total (cheap kit from AirLift).

All wakeboard boats should have brakes on at least one axle... however, Washington state requires boats have brakes on BOTH axles. Oregon does not, I don't believe Idaho requires it either... so if the boat was originally sold out of state, it's something to look in to. Adding brakes to the second axle can be done for about $600 or so.

Cal

Outstanding. I know the boat is from CA so I will look into what kind of brakes it has. I appreciate all of the information.

jonyb
02-16-2009, 11:22 AM
I am going to be towing a '05 22 SSV with an '05 4.7L 4Runner. Do you think it would be a good idea to look into a brake upgrade. The V8's are rated to tow 7300 lbs I think so I think I will be ok on power, just the shorter wheel base compared to a pickup and possibly braking. Do all trailers come with brakes? I have seen some that do but I am not sure about the boat I am buying.

-Anthony

A customer of mine brought his 04 X-star to my shop yesterday with an 05'ish 4-Runner. The rear tires were about to touch the fenders. If you keep that truck, you'll need helper bags in the rear.

http://www.fsip.com/pdfs/RR/installation/4135.pdf