PDA

View Full Version : 98 Saltare hard to start

Skipkris
08-28-2003, 02:39 PM
The PCM 5.7 Apex MPI in my 98 Saltare does not consistently turn over when the key is turned to the start position. The EFI system pressurizes when the key is turned, but the starter will not turn over. Jiggling the throttle has no effect, so I think the neutral safety switch is not the issue. The battery is new, fully charged, and of appropriate cold cranking amps for 5.7L engine. All other electronics work as they should. Holding the key in the start position has no effect. Typically, after three or four cycles of turning the key from "off" to start" the engine will turn over and run. The starter is new, replaced last year after water got to the original starter (bought the boat used, and discovered the hard way that the shaft packing was gone--water ran in, bilge pump failed, and presto--needed a new starter). There is no obvious corrosion on any of the starter wiring conections. I run on the Potomac River, with wife and toddler aboard...so I need reliable starting, especially when the weather turns foul. Appreciate any troubleshooting ideas.
Thanks
Skip
'98 Saltare