PDA

View Full Version : interior's out

mapleleaf
02-15-2009, 09:33 PM
So I pulled the interior this weekend and really wish the boat wasn't 2 hours away!
Expecting to find a rotten floor and some stringer action, I was pleasantly surprised to find things ok. I'm hoping my photo's have enough visibility, I did find some cracked fiberglass and maybe rot just below the gas tank, and will probably leave it for next winter. Everything came out great except the passenger's seat, I should'a figured there'd be a bolt through the port side. My forearm's now a little different.
I took a picture of the driveshaft packing as a I have an unexplained slow leak and Salty pointed out that it could be the packing, best to replace???
When you remove the floor am I right in thinking it's cut and destroy situation?
I thought it might come out with screws. Now that the floor and stringers look ok I don't know how bad I want to get at the foam....I call the upholsterer tomorrow, I figure on cutting him new templates for everything, with marine ply I have left from a job...
Maybe I'm nuts, it was 24f and I coulda spent all weekend out there.

Salty87
02-16-2009, 10:28 AM
that doesn't look too bad mapleleaf. i don't see any rust stains or other signs of water running down. you should add a strainer to your water intake though. ;)

there isn't really a way to lift the other sections without having to make repairs to them. it should all be covered with fiberglass.

you're right about the section near the gas tank, it's delaminating. looks like there might be more under the gas tank on the starboard stringer? also, it kinda looks like there's sealant where the floor rests on the stringer along that same starboard stringer up near the exhaust. my old floor swelled at that spot and created a gap right there.

packing needs to be replaced periodically. i have dripless tho, not much help for ya with packing. loosen the big nut and you should find it with some digging.

mapleleaf
02-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Salty, I agree totally, I'll fuss around with the packing and see if a n adjustment will fix the problem, the floor will be removable there anyway...
I have a major degreasing and cleaning ahead, when the weather permit's, and expect that blackness on the starboard stringer is dirt. I don't remember the delam going that far.
I'm a little stuck with the floor at the ski pole, will it slide back to the motor and come out once I remove the pole? It is trapped by the pass. seat frame and is rotten, so one way or another it's gotta go. I just wonder if seperating the hull might be a good idea. Is this that difficult??? I'm in a barn where hoisting is ideal and my wiring is an issue. I guess if I had a time estimate/ and knew the connection points I'd be better prepared.
Honestly, I've got less than $ 4000.00 Canadian in this thing todate and feel lucky with regards to the stringers and floor. So I may decide to pull the top half, remove the gas tank and fix the backend, which might also help in my effort to rebuild the rear bench (slightly taller) and hide a fat sac back there.
It just goes on and on.....

Salty87
02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
it does go on and and on.

pulling the topcap isn't hard. getting it back on isn't too much fun though. it's surprising how close the tolerances are over such a long length...they fit together just right. no more, no less. you have to pull the rubrail off, drill out rivets, lift...disconnect all the control cables, dash wiring harness, gas lines, vent hoses...lots to do but nothing terribly difficult.

your observer seat won't come out? you should have an access hole behind the trim panel on the wall if the seat is bolted to it.

i couldn't get the factory ski pole to separate. it looks like there are set screws on the base below the floor but my stuff wouldn't budge. i cut the floor to access the base. i guess you could remove them both at the same time if you can reach the bolts holding the base to the stringers. doesn't sound like a fun re-install.

i don't know what to say about the topcap. it's alot easier to work on the wiring with it apart. if your rubrail is good enough, you really only need rivets and sealant to put it back on. most people don't have the room but if you have it then it's probably easier.

mapleleaf
02-16-2009, 08:28 PM
my rubrail is shot, and I did get the observer out, that's why my forearm's different.:rolleyes:It's the storage frame below holding that section of floor down....
Here's a shot of some patch work I'll need to do just behind the gas cap, and so on, I think I'm coming into a paint job, more patching and ding's than I remember. So everything's coming out... except the motor....
Fix the back of the stringers, handle the wiring, and duh it's called a sawzall, when you know the piece is rotten and you can't at the set screws, take the pole out once there's a nice "big" opening!!!
Plus, all that other good stuff I find when the deck's off!!!