PDA

View Full Version : 01 Launch Issues

marksurfs
02-16-2009, 09:57 AM
especially during the heat of the summer, the breaker on the back of the engine trips and has to be reset. This appears to be becoming more and more frequent. Do these breakers go bad?? Also, last couple times I used the boat while up and running all my guages would go dead and reset. Could these two electronic problems be related?? Any help appreciated.

mapleleaf
02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm still learning when it comes to anything marine, however I have experienced many soft breakers while remodelling homes. In other words, the breaker will function, but trips when it wants to, not because of new load that it is under. Perhaps temp. plays a roll, both outside ambient and the amount of load it is under. Once these things fail they only seem to get worse. Replacing the breaker would be a good starting point..

rickr
02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
With the sophistacted electronics on modern boats I would fix the problem ASAP.

Breaker might be a little pricey so if it was me I first would check the voltage across the breaker, under load, with a digital voltmeter. If it is more that a few hundredths/volt I would replace the breaker.

If you are running a monster stereo you might need another fused circuit off the battery.

When troubleshooting circuits on boats (especially saltwater) don't ignore the grounds.

marksurfs
02-19-2009, 03:58 PM
thanks guys. The master power switch went bad last year and I relplaced it with a regular automotive switch when has seemed to work fine and I have no huge amps. I'll check voltage, grounds and go from there. I was scared something bad was going wrong electronically. Good thing is we have a dealership in Dothan now and they have been more than willing to drop ship parts. Take care,