PDA

View Full Version : Help....Smelling Gas Fumes! 89 TS6M

aklcody
02-21-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm noticing gas fumes on my 89 Comp TS6M around the drivers seat.....seems to be coming from under the steering wheel/front bow area. This only happens when I have a full tank of gas and am cruising down the lake. It will stop after 15 min or so after I've used some of the fuel. I've checked all around the engine compartment and in the rear of the boat around the fuel tank and not found any leaks or any fumes. I always run my vents for safety before starting and if I ever notice these fumes.....just need to get to the bottom of this. I can only pick up the smell from in front/below the driver seat area. Does anyone have any ideas?? This seems to be a very strange place to be noticing the fumes, I don't understand it. Shouldn't all the vents for the fuel tank area be located in the back of the boat around the tank?

rickr
02-21-2009, 03:26 AM
If your 89 is similar to my 87 all the fuel tank plumbing (fill, vent,,supply, tank) is in the very rear of the boat. Then you have the fuel line w/filter running to the engine.

The low spot in the Comp hull is in ront of the ski pole. Is fuel leaking then flowing to that spot? Smell coming from the thru deck holes for cables and wires under bow.

Since is is worst after filling up, first I would check gasket around the fuel gauge sender and fill and vent hoses.

I like to lift the engine cowl before starting the engine.

aklcody
02-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the info, I started down that track.....looking for any possible fuel leaks in the line coming into the fuel filter and around the engine....nothing. Then I thought there might be a leak elsewhere and flowing to the front being it's the low spot like you mentioned, I'm pretty sure I opened that floor access door in front of the ski pole and smelled but had nothing around the bilge area. I'll double check it again. My best guess is a seal around the gauge area at the tank, or the fill line leaking somehow and being at the top it only happens when the tank is very full. Can I just pull out the plastic liner in my back compartment to access my fuel tank area to do an inspection? My fuel gauge is not reading accuratly either, so I need to go and there anyway and repair my sending unit, hopefully I'll find the culprit. It just still seems very odd that I only notice the fumes in the front of the boat, don't know how they can be getting up there without noticing them elsewhere.

rickr
02-21-2009, 11:11 AM
AK
You can access the fuel fill (top) sender and pickup thru the plastic vent thingys under the transom sun deck.

aklcody
02-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info....that's what I was thinking, should be easy enough. Hopefully I find something!!

Salty87
02-21-2009, 12:30 PM
on my 454 the filter, pump, and pump overflow line are all on the driver's side too.

is your tank vent on the driver's side?

how full are you filling the tank up?

aklcody
02-22-2009, 11:36 AM
My gas cap is on the drivers side, my tank vent is on the passenger side in the rear by the tank. I'm filling it all the way up, occasionally when the pump clicks off for a full tank some gas might spit out the opposite side out of the tank vent if I get to much in it.