PDA

View Full Version : interior quote

mapleleaf
02-21-2009, 04:18 PM
So I've got a couple quote's to redo my interior and their both around the $3000 CAN. range. Basically redoing what exist's, losing all the piping for a baseball stitch and going with 2 colour's.
Wondering if this sounds reasonable, the one shop look's to have done some great work on big Carver's and Chris Craft's and has a dead for when they'll take boat's in March, I guess you do what feels best??

jasonba1
02-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I am having my interior done right now they are chraging me 1600 american for 3 colors, and some custom embrodery and redoing my drivers seat to make it a bolster seat. With all that said I do have a closed bow boat though.

Dinoz
02-26-2009, 05:43 PM
hey Mapleleaf,

Where is the company that quoted you the $3 g's? I'm in Waterloo and having a hard time finding a good shop to do the work on my '89 Comp. Found one place that quoted me similar to you but didn't care for the work that he showed me. Thanks.

Scuba
02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
That price does sound like it is in the ball park, in edmonton i had a similar quote

mapleleaf
02-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah I'm a little shell shocked, I can't afford 3 or even 35oo.00. So here's how crazy it gets. I repair my work colthes on a regular basis. I'm looking for a rental commercial sewing machine right now and I'm all in. Do'ín it while my son sleeps!!!
I know these people do good work , but I can't afford it. So the best chat I've had is with Nathan at Thetopguy.ca, he's at Keele and hwy 7 if I get lucky he;s doing the interior, if you're in Canada just google marine upholstery and a bunch of seemingly decent shops come up....
Sorry Alberta, can't be much help, My inlaws are in Red Deer and I love Banff???
This is not something I thought I'd do, but given the circumstances, furnace replacement, A/C, hot water tank this spring. Daddy's interior doesn't hold much weight..... Can't live without it, can't use the boat without it......

mapleleaf
02-27-2009, 09:38 PM
found another guy, waiting on the number......

csuggs
03-25-2009, 06:16 AM
Leaf -

I know a guy here in WV that spent $4K to have the interior on his Sunsport done - and I'm not sure I like what they did. Whenever we do mine in another year or two, I think we will do it ourselves because unless I can find someone that really does a good job, I might as well do it over the winter myself and save some cash. But again, it IS all about priority - and right now that would be taxes for me. :evil:

mapleleaf
03-25-2009, 07:29 AM
yeah man, I got the machine at home now and I'm looking at vinyl, if I take my Time I can't totally butcher it. Plus there can be some experimenting..... It is 2009..

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
03-27-2009, 02:23 PM
yeah man, I got the machine at home now and I'm looking at vinyl, if I take my Time I can't totally butcher it. Plus there can be some experimenting..... It is 2009..

Leaf :Go for it you never know it may turn out really nice, I sold my Nautique in September and bought a Supra cause I did not want to pay 3 to 5k for new interior after it got ruined in a hail storm last summer. Insurance said I had a claim and then changed there mind after seeing estimates for the repair. They did pay for new awnings for peoples 5th wheel trailers at the lake, but did not cover my claim. So I switched insurer and now see that none of them cover damage by wind or hail storms any longer
Thanks AIG!!
Anyhow good luck on your repair and I look forward to seeing pictures
when you are done!
Dave

autocraft
04-06-2009, 08:32 PM
I own a automotive restyling shop in Tn we do boat interiors as well. A lot goes into a repair that most people dont see ,like pattering the seats when the foam is shrunk and destorted. Also count on wood rot and spinning t-nuts. Marine vinyl has gone up 30% in the last year.What i'm saying is 3 grand is fair If i can help i,ll answer any questions hit me up

mapleleaf
04-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Hey Autocraft, welcome...
I didn't mean in anyway that the quote I got was a rip off, I simply can't afford it. Something I'm learning as a boat owner, it's not cheap! Is anything cheap???
After taking a few seat's apart and and redoing the frames (not even upholstered yet) I realize what all's involved, A lot of labor goes into these thing's forsure. I guess I thought that being a tradesman would help, by doing some of it myself, the upholsterer's don't want me messing up their work and I get it....
Heck I say no to customer's beyond certain number's myself!
I'm still looking for vinyl, and don't know if I'll get a better price here in Canada or if I should wait a few weeks when I'll be in MI. Any idea of what I should be paying per yard for marine grade vinyl??
Thanks,
John

Pdowling1
04-06-2009, 09:05 PM
If cost is critical look into vocational schools that teach upholstering. They need projects to train on. They may do great work or you may get what you pay for....

csuggs
04-07-2009, 06:20 AM
When I was looking at vinyl I think it was around $12-14 per yard. THe thing is, a lot of the vinyl you can buy isn't as good as OEM. My boat is 23 years old with original vinyl and a lot of the stuff you can buy now won't last that long.