PDA

View Full Version : engine cover mod.

mapleleaf
02-23-2009, 07:46 AM
So here goes my first fiberglass project. I've stripped the vinyl off the the engine cover and rather than rebuild the missing cabinet I'm going to try and modify it so there's a foot rest and a coulpe of built in cupholders at the back. I'm not messing with the interior dimensions, there appears to be to half tunnels for manifold clearance that I will NOT be changing.
I can cut it down and get a little backer going with wood to reinforce it, but am clueless when it comes to smoothing out the outside with fiberglass.
Don't know what I need material wise to do this. I have some ideas on who here might know!!!:D

Salty87
02-23-2009, 10:08 AM
not sure i'm following you...you don't have the storage compartment and you're thinking of modifying the hole to a foot rest and some cupholders? i don't have the door for that compartment, the rest is just a frame around the opening and then carpet in the compartment. that's one of the drier spots on my boat but i usually take dogs out with us and they get everything soaked.

the cupholders are easy...help me understand what you're wanting. fiberglassing isn't too bad if you don't have to grind first.

mapleleaf
02-23-2009, 02:19 PM
I just would like it to function a little different. Rather than the door option I'm going to cut the cover back to the inside/backwall of the compartment. So that the bottom of the compartment will become the new foot rest. So that the interior backwall, with the manifold round over's is the new exterior backwall. In the 3rd photo I tried to mark wear I would make the cuts. Will be cutting it this aft., most likely posting photo's this eve.
What I'll need to do is re-glass some interior parts of the cover for strength and some of the outside (hopefully smooth!) for upholstery. I think I get the jist of the fiberglassing deal, just really need pointer's on material and maybe know how. Thought I'd go to West Marine and hassle them a bit.

mapleleaf
02-23-2009, 06:33 PM
So the cover's been cut down... The compartment casing broke free quite easily, respirator on, and I spent about 10 minutes with a belt sander cleaning it up. The upholsterer is gonna hate the new curves, we'll see! So it doesn't look like there'll be any need for fiberglass repair, however I've got a couple of nasty chips in my top deck, not sure what to fill them with....
Hopefully this makes the interior feel a little bigger.
Salty I'm gonna build a drawer/dry storage just under the console, almost like a second glove box. Hopefully somewhat deep enough to be outta sight.
Things do tend to get wet....
Looking at these photo's I'm not sure about the squared off end, they're maybe some fiberglass work yet....

Salty87
02-23-2009, 06:47 PM
damn, you didn't waste any time. that looks pretty good. my cover doesn't have the exhaust molding...looks nice in a gearhead kinda way. i like it.

mapleleaf
02-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Got lucky with the afternoon off, that dust is really something, and I'm a carpenter!!!!

cowboy4
02-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Possible rear facing seat???

mapleleaf
02-26-2009, 11:24 PM
bingo, built in cupholder on either side.:-D