PDA

View Full Version : 22 sunsport

lcovin
02-23-2009, 08:59 PM
has anyone encountered cavitation when pulling multiple tubes in a right turn?

phenom_1819
02-23-2009, 11:16 PM
lcovin, if I understand your question, it's an inboard thing... and the 22 is a bigger boat, so it's more noticable. But they pretty much all do it and it's nothing to be concerned about. With the 22, I've found that if you back off the throttle as you head into the turn, and accelerate back to speed at the end of the turn, it should decrease the cavitatation a bit. Hope this helps.

On an unrelated note, if you're towing a tube (or multiple tubes), do you pull from your ski pole or from the tower? Too often I see people pulling from the tower... and cringe each and every time I see it. Tubes can put a lot of unnecessary stress on a tower, which could cause problems down the road.

Thought this looked like a good thread to drop that reminder for those who don't know...

Okie Boarder
03-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Stupid question....what is cavitation?

michael hunter
03-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Stupid question....what is cavitation?

Cavitation is when the prop is sucking in air it causes the prop to slip because
there is no water the grab onto. This usually happens to outboards or IOs when
you raise the trim too high or turn too sharp. I have never heard of this on a inboard
but I could be wrong.

Okie Boarder
03-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Cavitation is when the prop is sucking in air it causes the prop to slip because
there is no water the grab onto. This usually happens to outboards or IOs when
you raise the trim too high or turn too sharp. I have never heard of this on a inboard
but I could be wrong.

OK. I didn't know that is what it was called, but I've had that happen many times with my I/O.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I think they're thinking like the start of a power turn. He's pulling tubers going fast and making sharp turns. Too fast and too sharp and the back end will slip loose into power turn and slide across water in a whiplike motion.

Yeah basically ease up on the speed or don't crank it so hard. But what fun would that be?