PDA

View Full Version : Dash upgrade/replacement

kingwoodlee
03-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I finally pulled out my 88comp dash last weekend to have it recovered. Mine is the padded fabric type and not the later molded plastic type. I also need to replace the metal gauge face plates that house the gauges and switches. Skiers Choice does not have any so I placed a call to Jim at Viper. He is trying to have several sets made for us "restorers" and will get back in a week to see if he can get them for me. Of course, he could make some billet ones and have them polished or anodized. Time will tell. I started this project in order to replace my steering bezel assembly and cable. After 21 years, it had too much slop in the feel. The newer style steering assembly does require me to drill out the fiberglass hole to 2-3/4" in size. The hole is extremely close to the bottom of the dash, so I am thinking about installing a metal backing plate to strengthen it all up. I will update as I progress.

rickr
03-04-2009, 06:03 PM
king
Here is a link to a dash I fabricated for "The Other Boat". May be you can get some ideas.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43770&highlight=dash

Do you have a pic of the new decals on your 88 Comp?

Your gel coat looks great! Has your boat ever been used ;)

kingwoodlee
03-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I have thought about cutting my own out of aluminum, I just don't know how to etch. Jim at Viper says he can do that for me. I will try and attach a few pictures of the decals. Yes the boat gets used about 2-3 times a week in the summer. After I replaced the complete floor a couple years ago, I had the entire boat wet-sanded and polished before I put on the new decals. The gelcoat looked pretty bad from hanging in a boat slip for 4 years and having the setting sun bleach out the port side.

jasonba1
03-05-2009, 03:24 PM
ill be going down to viper on Monday and see how my boat is coming out I think the dashes are going to be awesome I cant wait to see mine

kingwoodlee
03-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Got the dash back from the upholsterer today. Done in a flat black Marine vinyl. Should hold up a long time. See attached pictures.

jasonba1
03-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Also I talked to Jim Jackson at viper customs today and he has started on the dashes so it shouldnt be much longer at all that mine will be done and he will have pictures ready for everyone else.

Kingwoodle dash looks great

mapleleaf
03-13-2009, 08:34 PM
yeah that dash looks really good, you guys are kill'in me. I haven't even picked the vinyl for my interior yet. Looks like the flat black dash is a no brainer!!
About this wet sand... It brought the gel coat back to life, your boat wasn't painted????
looks awesome....

kingwoodlee
03-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks Mapleleaf,
No the boat wasn't painted. It was gray gelcoat from the factory. I had it wet sanded and them buffed out to the shine I have now. Still looking good after 21 years.