PDA

View Full Version : observer seat

mapleleaf
03-08-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm rebuilding my observer seat frame and it appears that there is some part of it rotten away. I'm trying to determine The measurement of the small pieces of wood that are at the bottom of the seat back, aound the whole bottom of the back of the seat. Looks like maybe 1 3/4" wide but it's gone so I can't tell forsure, anybodies observer seat have these pieces ?
They'd be upholstered and visible with the seat cushion removed...
Thanks

mapleleaf
03-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Replying to my own thread,(he shakes his head) the measurement I was looking for is the depth of the foam on the seat......

Salty87
03-10-2009, 01:01 PM
leaf...you got a pic?

the depth of the seat cushion is about the same as my other seats. maybe a fraction of an inch thicker.

the small pieces of wood at the bottom of the seat back...that sounds like the lip that's leftover from the plywood that the seatbacks rest on?

mapleleaf
03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey
You'd be able to get this measurement if you removed your observer, lame favour for me to ask. In my second photo there's a gap where the middle seat brace is 1/2" short. I forgot to make the piece in question, but it basically follows the bottom of the seat back and is a 1 1/2" wide. It'll be determined by the depth of the foam. It also levels the seat cushion, cause at the front of the seat there's a 3/4" strip. Maybe to add depth to the box below?? The cushion opens to a small storage box under the observer.

So I took my time getting started, and waited on interior quotes, and now it's DIY. I figure I have 2 months to get the stitching done and it'll probably take at least that long. I've pulled most of the skins and putting new back will be tricky. I think I've figured out the order in which they assembled the seats,(work from inside to top). These interior's were well made.

The observer I copied with new marine grade 1/2" ply. the base and backrest are not attached to each other, just mocked up together. The rear bench I used 3/4" marine ply, for a little added weight and sturdiness, the old one was a mix of 1/2 and 3/8's, which seemed a little flimsy. Have yet to drill any limber holes or cushion holder slots, but we'll get there.
What's weird is that some of my original plywood is primed, some raw. The adhesives they used and the stitching is borderline bulletproof! (from the inside)Not to mention that my foam, 20 yrs. old, looks pretty good, some of it will be going back for another tour! I finally got my hands on a commercial sewing machine, so at least they'll be my mistakes when things don't workout. I'll be buying extra vinyl.

My cousins in Texas will get a kick outta this, but you gotta do what ya gotta do, I don't think, even at the beginning, that I'll ever do this again! Next boat's got to have top notch interior!

Salty, Can you post a pic of that sculpted carpet? There won't be anywhere on my boat to stick fingers, maybe screwdriver's!

thanks

rear bench, observer, engine cowl ready for upholstery...

Salty87
03-11-2009, 08:21 AM
once it stops raining i can go take a look under the cover. i had to patch some of the bracing for one of my rear seats too. the rear seat that i worked on didn't have anything where you're pointing but that doesn't mean much. i never screwed my seats into the floor so it's pretty easy, they don't budge and i don't have to worry about messing up the new floor.

i looked online at ingles carpet and didn't see the carpet that i bought. here's a pic of it in the boat tough...i think it was 30 oz or so

good luck with the vinyl. i draw the line there, i'm afraid i'd butcher it.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/DSCF0107.jpg

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
03-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Dear Mapleleaf, I see your from Toronto!! I love your chatline moniker mapleleaf. Are you
a mapleleafs fan or just a proud Canadian?? or both?? I am in Vancouver so I cheer for the Canucks but I still enjoy watching and cheering for the Leafs!!
We are very happy out West to have Mats Sundin and Kyle Wellwood on our team and wish Leafs fans the best now that Brian Burke is in T/O to help rebuild the team.
the leafs have been playing well recently!!
Dave

87SunSportMikeyD
03-20-2009, 06:44 PM
holy crap salty that is clean as a whistle

mapleleaf
03-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Dave,
I guess I have to be a fan of the leaf's, but the fact that you got Sundin kinda stings a little. B B is helping I agree, long way to go!
Mapleleaf I figured 'cause I was Canadian, thought of the flag and well you know the rest.
I'm a playoff hockey fan, so I guess it's a good thing I have a boat to work on, here in Toronto!!!!