PDA

View Full Version : 87 Saltare' seats and carpet

skiman_61
03-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Hey guys,

How does one remove the observers seat in an old Salt? I've removed all the screws I can find. Pulled with enough force that it should come but nothing doing.

Also, any hints on carpet replacement would be great. I don't want to disassemble the whole boat to replace the carpet. Seats and motor box are out.

Jack

mapleleaf
03-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Ha, I think I have the answer! If there is a breather port just outside your windsheild window/vent, portside, take it out and you should be able to access a through bolt that retains the curved portion of the observer seat.

As for carpet I've been looking for economical places to find marine grade and so far it looks like Bass Pro, Lowes and believe it or not Home Depot have inexpensive outdoor carpet. West Marine also has a half decent selection.

There are a few other threads here, check rickr's ts6m restoration for other marine carpet suppliers, his pic's are great and he usually posts who his supplier was.

skiman_61
03-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks Mapleleaf,

That is one place I did not think to look. As for the carpet, I am looking for advice on the best method to get the old out and re lay the new. United laid the carpet then put the top on the boat. I suppose I will catefully cut the edges with a razor and pull it up.

mapleleaf
03-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah my carpet was rotten and the adhesive shot, so it came out easily. Can you cut like like say, but on the install do what the factory did and run it up into that plastic trim like baseboard??? Would make for a great finish!

rickr
03-09-2009, 10:01 AM
skiman
The Comp had a screw under the gunnel that I had to crawl into the storage area to get to.
BEWARE 24oz marine carpet is directional.
http://www.inglescarpetinc.com/id67.html

Salty87
03-10-2009, 01:06 PM
i can get to the screw for the observer's seat by removing the side trim panel that has the teak strips. or, you can add an access hole behind that panel if you want for later access (i don't know if mine if from the factory or was added later). if you remove the screws for the teak strips at the 4 corners, there should be additional screws there to remove the entire panel.

my old carpet came up with the old floor but ingle's carpet (search, they do alot of online sales) was easy to deal with. i used a sculpted carpet, looks and feels great.

the carpeted panels around the floor are just screwed into the sidewalls. rip the old carpet and you'll find the screws. same for the side steps on each side of the motor box.

good luck

oh yeah...pics??

skiman_61
03-18-2009, 04:18 PM
I will get some pics up. The boat is in my folks garage in NE Ohio. Lake house. Four hours from here. What is 'sculpted carpet' and what is 'directional' carpet?

mapleleaf
03-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Sculpted just means there's a textured pattern to it. Kinda like berber or sisal residential carpet....

rickr
03-18-2009, 07:51 PM
24oz from Ingles is made with ribs (like all/most carpet) and also is directional. If you rub your hand across it one way it will lay down the other it will stand up. Like directional pool table felt.

Salty87
03-19-2009, 09:31 AM
this is the sculpted i used, from ingles. 30 oz

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/DSCF0107.jpg

i was trying to find berber but it was too expensive, something about a special backing. don't recall exactly.

skiman_61
05-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Gentlemen,

Here are some pics as promised some time ago of my '87 Salt. It was suggested that one could reach through the vent to get to the bolt on the observer seat. If I had ET arms it might be possible. Unfortunately, I'm a 47 year old fat guy. I will be removing the side panel and cutting a hole. The boat is about four hours away from me, and I've not had but a few hours to play with it.

Are the carpet panels on the gunnel screwed on? That appears to be the case.

Jack AKA SKIMAN_61

skiman_61
05-26-2009, 08:07 PM
The files will not load up. What gives?