PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Kenwood Stereo cables (iPod)

tg0824SSVGG
03-09-2009, 05:04 PM
I have an 08 24 SSV (Gravity) with the Kenwood stereo -and I
really dislike using the "headphone jack" in the glove box to connect
the iPod.

Have any of you used:

Kenwood KCA-iP500 iPod Interface

To connect the ipod? Pro's Con's ??

I guess you then just put the ipod in the compartment with the batteries?

Changing the entire stereo isn't an option right now - I still have to
sell the old boat - which is going to be TOUGH right now.

Thanks,

Todd

kca-ip500 - http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KCA-iP500-iPod-Interface/dp/B00084YFGS

Pretty sure this is the stereo:Kenwood KTS-300MR Sirius/XM Ready Marine CD Receiver with Waterproof Front Panel

mapleleaf
03-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Damn, I gotta know....
What's the old boat?

tg0824SSVGG
03-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Prolly not what you want ... but a 99 Reinell 23 foot Open Bow.
Perfect Pass, Rozwell Tower, Vamp Spin speakers, 2 amps, 280 HP
(sterndrive) high perf prop, dual batteries, Rockford Fosgate Stereo and main
speakers, ... GREAT BOAT!

mikebu
03-09-2009, 09:38 PM
One con would be that you may lose the existing Headphone Jack as I believe the IPod interface would plug into your deck using the same connector as your existing Headphone Jack.

I would go for it as you should be able to control the IPod via the stereo remote at the drivers seat.

If you wanted to put the IPod in the glove compartment you could cut a new hole into the glove compartment. But as long as you just listen to playlists putting it by the batteries sounds good as you shouldn't need access to it.

mapleleaf
03-09-2009, 11:52 PM
this is supposed to be a stereo thread......
tg sounds like a great boat, I think I'm stuck with the Conbrio for a couple years, Stuck being a good thing!:D

michael hunter
03-09-2009, 11:54 PM
I added one shortly after I put in the Kenwood. It works great plug it in and all Ipod
functions can be done on the wired remote I installed at the drivers dash. You can
switch from radio, cd or Ipod all from the remote.

cptsupra
03-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Your Kenwood Model is the KTS-MP400MR. The difference between the 300 is that this one allows you to play cd's that have mp3 file s on them.

I added the IP500 to mine along with the transom remote to match the one on the drivers console.

Like everyone else on here:

Pros: allows you to control ipod and see the display of song title and artist information from the radio and all remote control locations.

Cons: it has a pretty long from the time you select a track or change playlists. That leads to the biggest con.

Controlling the songs like you are accustomed to on the ipod itself is virtually impossible. The best method I have found is to be super anal about organizing the playlists on my ipod before I take it to the boat. Once you plug into the Kenwood interface, your IPOD is basically a harddrive and the display only displays a kenwood flash screen.

I am currently in the same situation as you. I have this system and would like something a little better, but being that no other manufacturer's remote control will look good in the console i am sticking with this for now.

One other alternative to this ipod connection aside from overhauling with a cool system like the Fusion Stereo with integrate IPOD dock is Kenwood Music Keg. THe model number is KHD-CX910. It has been discontinued, but hey so has your Kenwood Head Unit, but they can still be found for about the same price as that IPOD cable on Ebay. From the reviews the interface with Kenwood's head units is much more friendly then the IPOD interface.

Hope this all helps. Let us know which way you go and how it works out. If the fusion remote controls would fit better on the console, I would pull the trigger on that system.

jonyb
03-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I've got one of those in mine TG.

It's okay, at best. The best part is controlling the ipod from the transom through the Kenwood remote. If you use the headphone jack you'll have to get in and out of the boat to do it. When I'm about to hop in before a set I get the song I want playing by using the transom remote.

tg0824SSVGG
03-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Well,

thanks all. Currently, I have the ipod with the headphone jack sitting on the middle
seat next to me, so I can hit "pause" when someone falls.

I can't ever seem to get it set right tho - too much volume on the iPod causes distortion,
but I can't get enough volume out of the Kenwood playing hte iPod this way.

Play a CD - and I can blow myself out of the boat - so, I don't like the headphone
jack for that reason.

On my 08, the drivers stereo control is integrated with the perfect pass and all
other dash operations, so I really can't imagine changing that out - and I already
have the transom mount remote control.

We have 3 iPods - so as attractive as that Keg is when it first came out, I think
I will stick with the iPods for now.

$42 at Amazon (versus nearly $90 elsewhere) - doesn't seem like that
much of a gamble. I think I will give it a try.

We normally have a playlist for the boat anyway, so maybe it won't be SO bad, but
I know I won't like not having the pause button (why on earth did they leave that out?)

Todd

mvd
03-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Is this headphone jack for ipods standard on all new supra's?

tg0824SSVGG
03-10-2009, 12:17 PM
mvd,

I don't know the answer - but the placement of mine is very odd - it's in the glovebox ... so I have to snake the cable out and across the seats ..

Todd

tg0824SSVGG
03-10-2009, 12:19 PM
In looking at the boat configurator at teh top of this page, it appears to be standard
on at least the 09 Supras:

Supra Standards

* Deep Drop V Keels
* Integrated Perfect Pass Speed Control
* Gravity III Ballast System (Launch models)
* SmartPlate Wake Adjustment System
* Multi-Position Rear Facing Seating
* Full Instrumentation Featuring Digital Gauges by Medallion
o Speedometer
o Tachometer
o Fuel
o SmartPlate
o Electronic Information Center
o Depth Finder / Air & Water Temperature
* MPI Engines
* Tower (Launch Series)
* Titan™ Swivel Board Racks (Launch Series)
* Aluminium Ski Pylon with Swivel
* Docking Lights
* Trackless Deep Pile Carpet
* AM/FM/MP3/Sirius Ready Stereo
* IPOD/MP3 Player Auxiliary Connector

jonyb
03-10-2009, 01:56 PM
mvd,

I don't know the answer - but the placement of mine is very odd - it's in the glovebox ... so I have to snake the cable out and across the seats ..

Todd

are you talking about a headphone jack as the input for the ipod? If that's the case and you do decide to keep it that way, get a long one, 15-20'. Run it down the hole by the batteries, into the front ballast locker, go around teh opening, and up into the lower part of the helm. I ran 4 sets of RCA's, power for my eq, and sub wiring all to the lower part of the helm and you really can't see any wiring when the seat is lifted.

tg0824SSVGG
03-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Right - I have to run those cables over for my wet sounds equalizer - as soon as I take
it out of the other boat.

The headphone jack is already in the boat - the jack is in the glove box - very stupid if
you aske me ...

Drottie
03-19-2009, 07:46 PM
My '08 22SSV had the ipod jack in the same place, glovebox is useless. I had the dealer split that input and run a second jack around to another jack just below the 12V plug under the throttle, work great, and you don't have the cable streched across from the glove box.

Supra-Steve
03-20-2009, 07:14 PM
TG (or Todd)....the ip500 will be a world of difference(better) than your existing setup where your using the iPod headphone jack. Not to mention the sound quality should be a bit better. Now, the ip500 won't be the savior of the most desireable ipod adapter but will at least allow you skip to the next song, or change your playlist(if you know the order of our playlists). I use to use it but did not like the limited functionality when trying to find songs w/in a playlist or browse to another playlist. I upgrade my stereo to a newer kendwood Headunit that comes w/ an actual ipod controller connection(usb coming out of radio and use your usb to ipod cable) and now i'm able to browse all playlists, artist, songs, etc as if i'm doing it thru my ipod(but doing it via the actual HU).

In short, I think you'll be happier w/ the ip500 and will give you some of the functionality your looking for, but not totally.

tg0824SSVGG
03-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks Steve, I did buy it - just waiting to try it out.

What head-unit did you buy? I feel like I am very likely STUCK, becuase the controller
on the driver side is integrated into the "dash controller" - including the Perfect
Pass.

I will see how this works - becuase, as you said, headphone connection setups
are just not the best - but I know that I will miss my "pause" button in all cases.

jonyb
03-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I wonder if there's a way for us to send them the marine controller we would want (such as an Alpine), and they build a plate for it to replace the one with the Kenwood in it? I'd love to do that. It would also give others an option for any head unit they'd want.