PDA

View Full Version : My 86 Sunsport Skier

csuggs
03-12-2009, 11:33 AM
A blast from the past, and whole lot of fun . . . . . . . .

Salty87
03-12-2009, 11:53 AM
all hitched up and ready to go too

you ever think about taking the stripes off? you'll literally have a clean canvas. i don't think i've ever seen one almost entirely white. looks great.

csuggs
03-12-2009, 12:15 PM
The stripes on the water line will probably come off this year, but I haven't decided for sure what I'm going to do with it. My friend has an 87 comp with the exact striping.

michael hunter
03-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Congrats on the new boat post some more pics with interior shots.
I have owned my 89 since new they are great boats have fun this summer.

mapleleaf
03-13-2009, 10:42 PM
man that things clean! I get some serious envy look'in at those tall freeboard's
She looks a little clean and dry!!!!

csuggs
03-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Here are a few more pics . . . . .

csuggs
03-26-2009, 08:25 AM
And here's what a Supra looks like when being towed on the back of a rollback. Before I picked up the boat in Michigan last year I asked the guy I bought it from to grease the wheel bearings so that I wouldn't have any problems on the way home. Guess he didn't do such a good job . . . .

It cost me an extra $400 to get the boat home!:mad:

87SunSportMikeyD
03-27-2009, 11:23 AM
OMG! That sucks :( :( :( It does have bearing buddies, he just didn't grease them? Doh! That could've happened to me too! Good luck with the boat she is a great one. Let me know if ya wanna talk! :)

mapleleaf
04-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Somehow I miss posts in threads every once in a while...Those pic's on the flatbed are wild. I've been in that situation, only i had loose lug nuts, sheered off the lug bolts and ground through the u bolts holding the axle on when the wheel came off!!
My axle ended up almost sideways to the trailer by the time I stopped, it was a midnight trailer rebuild for me, not that much fun!! Trying to drift in new lug bolts on the highway sucked!
After looking at your trailer set up some more, I think it would be possible to lower your boat on it, but I wonder if the effort is worth it. I think there's lot's involved with resizing and moving stuff, winch location, bunk's, fender cutouts, etc.. And by the looks of it you've got great ground clearance to the rudder and prop right now, which is always a good thing.
From an esthetic staand point it definitely look better lower I just wonder if the pro's out way the con's????

Blackntan90
04-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Mapleleaf, I have noticed that some of the boats on here do seem to sit much higher than mine on the trailer. On my trailer the fenders make it very hard to wipe down the entire boat- but I think it helps with handling and launching- as well as getting coolers and stuff in and out of the boat!

csuggs
04-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Being high on the trailer does make it easier to clean - thanks for pointing that out. In order to lower the boat in the trailer and really make it worth my while, I would have to use a wider axle with a 4" drop. Then rebuild the fenders and rework the entire bunk system. Probably that is not worth the effort since my trailer is in pretty good shape.
I purchased a new draw bar this year that allows you to adjust the height without removing the trailer. That way, I can lower the front of the trailer when launching and loading. I'm hoping that makes a difference on the ramp!
Can't wait to try it . . . .

Irish_Jack
04-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Cool lookin boat man. I love the teak work on it. Mine sits low on the trailer too. It looks cool and handles great and launches with ease but is kinda sucks to clean and wax the hull. I agree though; it is easier to get up and down the whole rig.

saltare inverts
04-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Nice boat, you now have a new family member. My boat used to sit really low also. I put a three inch lift on the trailer last year. It drug on everything before. I couldnt even get it in my garage until the lift. Much better to pull now.

mapleleaf
04-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Clint, I'm looking for a new receiver as we speak... my 3 1/4"drop isn't enough, I was thinking of going to 5", but that was just a guess. I need to get the back of the trailer away from the ground a bit. So I figured lower in the front....
You got any pic's of the adjustable jobby you mentioned????

csuggs
04-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Leaf -

I need to get the front of my trailer lower in the water at the ramp, but not low for towing. I ran across this hitch receiver at Tractor-Supply Co. and thought it would be worth a try. It uses an acme-threaded rod and works much like your trailer tongue jack. I can tow the boat to the ramp at a level height, then lower it at the ramp for launching. I'll have to let you know how it works. Here's the link . . ..

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&sku=ZX502155&zmam=73771597&zmas=4&zmac=76&zmap=ZX502155

For towing longer distances, I would probably use a standard solid draw bar.

Clint

csuggs
04-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Clint, I'm looking for a new receiver as we speak... my 3 1/4"drop isn't enough, I was thinking of going to 5", but that was just a guess. I need to get the back of the trailer away from the ground a bit. So I figured lower in the front....
You got any pic's of the adjustable jobby you mentioned????

Leaf -
I launched with the new receiver this weekend and it was significantly easier. I towed to the ramp with the receiver adjusted high, then lowered it before backing down the ramp. It is a little hard to turn (7/8" ratchet), but the launch was definitly better - load was better as well. I think it was worth the $60+ it cost me.

mapleleaf
04-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Good deal, launching the boat.....ahhh it was in the water!!!! I found an adjustable height through bolt receiver that I can use for a number of applications....
$ 89 Can., and it's heavy duty so the price I'll live with.....better then the boat passing me at 60!!!!!

csuggs
04-20-2009, 08:27 PM
That might actually be a better way to go as long as you can safely "un-hitch" the boat from the vehicle at the ramp. I would definitely feel better towing with a through-bolt hitch, but I only have to go a few miles to the ramp. For long hauls I'll use a regular drop-hitch.
Yep - got'er wet on Saturday. I'm almost afraid to say how good it ran with all the work we did over the last month or so - don't want to jinx anything. Can't wait for this Saturday!:cool: