PDA

View Full Version : Supratrapp sealant removal

csuggs
03-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Does anyone out there know the best way to remove the old sealant from around the exhaust ports where the Supratrapp flanges are mounted? I've removed the flanges, but the old sealant is difficult to remove without damaging the gel coat. I'm told that 3M 4200 sealant is good to use for re-assembly.

mapleleaf
03-15-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and say, slowly with a scraper and some elbow grease.....

Salty87
03-15-2009, 03:51 PM
the gel coat around my exhaust opening wasn't very good. don't know if it was too thick or mixed improperly. doesn't matter much at this point. old sealant sticking to bad gel coat es no bueno.

you can use marine-tex to build those areas back up/smoothen them out. it's pretty easy to use. there's no point in really worrying about cosmetics under the trap plates. once you slather new sealant behind there, nobody will see it. and, you might as well fill in the old screw holes too so you have a fresh surface to use and everything is all sealed up.

getting the old stuff off is the hard part. acetone, plastic scraper, time. that's what worked on mine.

4200 is what i used, too.

OUI
03-15-2009, 06:55 PM
If it's 5200 than the only thing that will get that off is Marine Formula. This stuff really works. It works on almost anything. www.marineformula.com

wotan2525
03-16-2009, 01:31 PM
I guess I didn't care as much about my gelcoat as you guys did since it will all be covered up anyway... I also figured roughing it up a little bit would help the new gasket maker adhere correctly -- so I just went at it with a small drill-mounted wire brush. Didn't seem to take very long.....

87SunSportMikeyD
03-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Hey guys I took mine off to clean and inspect as well as get sized up for Fresh Air Exhaust. Make sure the screws are not stripped and no rotton wood or could be a bad sign! I am putting in slightly bigger screws to get fresh wood.

I used some epoxy to patch small cracks or chips in gelcoat.

Here is a pic!