PDA

View Full Version : Seasons coming around!

trojanswagger
03-15-2009, 06:56 PM
So the new season of boarding is upon us wondering what new tricks everyones trying to learn this season?

Irish_Jack
03-29-2009, 09:22 AM
I just want to get more fluid and comfortanle at riding. I can get up good, cut the wake good, and olley; but, I'm still shakey at side sliding and riding with my back turned... Hopefully when I cover my last two basses, I'll be able to start trying to get bigger air.:cool:
My board... 07' hyperlite motive 134 with plushpro bindings:D

TayTay
03-30-2009, 04:28 PM
I am with IrishJack. I would just like to get better on the board. I have only wakeboarded a handfull of times but I picked it up pretty quick and I learned on a 18' Reinel I/O. I figure with an actual tournament boat I will get better quickly. I guess the first thing I want to learn is to spin. I am not the one to flip. I am a bigger boy and never flipped that well. I was always the fat kid that landed on his back trying to flip off the diving board, or trampoline. We will see what happens though. I am riding a 2007 CWB Faction. It is a pretty nice board so we will see how she treats me this year...

87SunSportMikeyD
03-30-2009, 04:39 PM
I did so much surfing last year it was so awesome! First year surfing. I rode away from a handful of surf 360s last year. For wakeboarding once I added all the weight I was able to start landing my heelside backrolls. Tried a few tantrums and came closer than before so will keep trying those. I can already land a hs fs 360, but I would like to be able to land a ts fs 360. Working on taking my hs bs 180 wake to wake.

mapleleaf
03-30-2009, 07:40 PM
gotta get way out past the wake in the flats on my landing's, BIG air!!!! And seriously Mikey lead me to the surf, I think I wanna spend my time there...
Can you recommend a good starter board, I'm comfortable on a 6'2" fish or gun out in the waves.....don't know behaind a boat....

csuggs
03-31-2009, 04:10 PM
I think I'd like to try surfing too. That sounds more my speed considering my age and all . . ..
Last time I tried any kind of roll was probably 20 years ago on a kneeboard - kept landing on my head. . .:confused:

Irish_Jack
03-31-2009, 07:33 PM
I got an idea... What I need to do is take Mikey on my boat for wake boarding, record him on my camcorder, then superimpose my head onto his body in the final editing. I'll then superimpose his head onto my skinny ass so that I actually look like I know what I'm doing!!!:D

mapleleaf
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
I get where Jack's going with this, however what I'd like to do is superimpose Mikey's boat bagged out over my boat and then ride the dream wake, I really need that big wake......
Nevermind the biggest loser, how about the biggest gainer???They can sit in the back of boat anyday!!!!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
04-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Hahaha you guys are way too nice hehe! Irish I would love to see the Saltaires wake! I'm a skinny ass too so the video edit would be a perfect crop. :D The wakesurfing is really pretty easy some days I'll surf like four times. Can only wakeboard once or twice.

Maple I've been thinking of your boat lately... I think once you wetsand it you might be surprised. It might even be more red than pink. Not sure, but maybe. You can hope anyways hehe :). But about the surf wave, with even one sac its rideable. Two and it's great. I'm would bet that your Conbrio could totally handle a couple sacs in the back. It has the lower nose, but you really don't need bow weight for surfing. Do you have a 13x13 prop or a 13x12? I'm gonna whip you up an avatar too if you want later lets see some more pics of your boat! :)

mapleleaf
04-01-2009, 06:32 PM
I'll get some more pics to ya when she's down in the city, I'll probably spend some time with her over Easter, and if I work at it maybe bring her home...it's a tall order, might have to run the trailer in primer for a bit.......
pic's coming.......
not sure about the prop....that's been on my mind!!! last I recall it looked used, like a new one might be calling my name...
I remember doing 10-11 mph and the wake looking big.....can't remember how the curl looked though....

Irish_Jack
04-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Maple,
Supras have super hard gel. I bought my boat and took it off the trailer and wet sanded it starting with 3m hook-it on a soft pad on my d.a. at 320, 400, 600, 800, then 1000--changing the paper often(about every 4 square feet). I then buffed twice with 3m imperial compound on a wool pad and high speed orbital buffer. Using the orbital I then went to Cook's Auto perfect finishing compound, and then 3m swirl remover(perfect-it). I used my 12" random orbital for the waxing and I used Cook's Auto great white cleaner wax. I clean, detail, and wax my boat every time I get done using my boat(I'm a neat freak). The boat wasn't too bad but the harder gels don't get chalky, they get gosty and faded.... I definitely know where you are coming from though. I had almost a hundred hours into my boat, but it was so worth it!;)

mapleleaf
04-01-2009, 09:19 PM
thanks Jack, I know it's worth it, 100 hours, oh boy, I'll put that on the list...
I may have to forget about sleep'in...

michael hunter
04-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Irish
We need to talk about sanding the gel-cote. Are you still thinking about going to the Supra reunion in July?

mapleleaf
04-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey Micheal,
I'm looking for the easy way out, perhaps something in the 80 hour range......
got any secret's????

michael hunter
04-02-2009, 09:32 PM
It looks to me Jack has the answer . My boat has never had gel dulling issues however
when it was new I put 2 hairline scratches in it [long story] last year I tried to sand them out and buff. It worked pretty well but now the color is slightly darker where I sanded .
Most people don't notice but I know its there and it bothers me. I am hoping to see jack at the Supra Reunion for some advice.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-03-2009, 10:55 AM
I just did one pass wed sanding by hand with a fine grit. It seemed to help a lot. Maybe 5 hours including a wax.

Irish_Jack
04-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Irish
We need to talk about sanding the gel-cote. Are you still thinking about going to the Supra reunion in July?
Hey Michael,
Most definitely I plan on being there. I already have it planned out with my wife....:cool:
Jonathan

michael hunter
04-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Jack I will see you there

Irish_Jack
04-03-2009, 05:11 PM
thanks Jack, I know it's worth it, 100 hours, oh boy, I'll put that on the list...
I may have to forget about sleep'in...
Hey Maple,
it actually isn't too bad to do. I spent that amount of time mostly because I'm a freak when it comes to body work... and I had some dock scratches that were driving me up a wall. You could start with 600 then go from there. That would cut down well over 40 hours of work, because the courser the grit the longer the next step is. I'm definitely not saying I'm the best marine body technician out there--there are more experienced technicians out there than me; however, I learned from the older technicians that I work with. Feel free to ask any questions you want:)

mapleleaf
04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks,
For me I guess it's like furniture, I just hadn't made the connection, You can really mess up a piece of wood with coarse paper!!
I'm gonna mess around under there and see how far I get......
If I'm up near Grand Traverse Bay, Mi. How far from this reunion would I be??? 7-8 hours???

Irish_Jack
04-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks,
For me I guess it's like furniture, I just hadn't made the connection, You can really mess up a piece of wood with coarse paper!!
I'm gonna mess around under there and see how far I get......
If I'm up near Grand Traverse Bay, Mi. How far from this reunion would I be??? 7-8 hours???
You're at least that far away. You might be looking closer 10 depending on whether you go above lake Michigan or below. I've made the drive to Saganaw in that time though from Milwaukee and that's about the same distance.
Jonathan

mapleleaf
04-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Map quest says 6.5 hours, but by the looks of it if I took the ludington, Manitowac ferry it might cut some of the driving. I've taken it before, and I think they've got an overnight option......
I'd better start talking to the wife.....

justflyem
04-05-2009, 05:58 PM
I want to learn ts front roll and get more comfortable with the 360's both ways. Got backrolls and trantrums, but always been slightly uncomfortable doing toeside tricks