PDA

View Full Version : help

ol88
03-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Anybody have a link are the know how to walk me through changing the oil in my 88 saltare?
Thanks in advance

Salty87
03-16-2009, 10:55 AM
i like to use a vacuum pump oil extractor. it pulls the oil out the dipstick. i wanted to add a drain hose but there isn't enough room under the oil pan on saltares for it.

warm the engine first so oil will flow better.

you can find filters at car parts stores. the tall filters hold more oil but they're harder to get off as there's not much room to work with.

after the oil is warmed, i try to place a plastic bag completely around the filter so it drops in when it comes off. this usually doesn't work so well but there's no way to get all the oil thru the dipstick. this is why i use the shorty filters, easier to get the bag under them.

install the new filter, clean the bilge, and fill her up. 5-6 quarts. i use straight 30 weight.

wotan2525
03-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I think Salty87 covered it... I usually end up with a big mess in the bilge under the oil filter. I put some towels down there to try and soak it up as best I can. I actually did fit a slim remote oil drain hose under my oil pan when I pulled the engine.... I drop the 10 feet of hose through my drain plug and suck it out that way. The hose and connectors aren't big enough for the oil to flow out on it's own, but I use a drill pump and suck it right out.

ol88
03-16-2009, 01:55 PM
sounds like i will just pay someone to do this for me.

csuggs
03-16-2009, 03:27 PM
I have a drain hole in the hull just under the motor. There is a hose attached to the oil pan that will go through the hole in the boat to allow drainage under the boat into a bucket or some other container. To prevent a mess when removing the filter I use a small diameter hose attached to a small funnel - just heat the hose with a heat gun and push it over the funnel, then duck tape if necessary. This really works good when draining any fluids from the motor.:cool: