PDA

View Full Version : New Stereo Install

TayTay
03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
So I have spent the last few weeks putting a new stereo together for my 05 22 SSV. Everything is on order and hopefully the install will happen next weekend. This is what I got:

Alpine iDA-X100M Digital Media Receiver

Alpine MC10 Wireless Marine Remote

Alpine SPS-M600 Cabin Speakers

Kicker MX700.5 5-Channel Amp

Kicker MX350.4 4-Channel Amp

JL Audio M10W5 Subwoofer

Fusion T-Series 3-way Combo Tower Speakers

(2) Optima D34M Blue Top batteries

Perko Battery Switch with alternator disconnect

We will see how everything works out when I put it in. I have a friend who did audio installs for 11 years helping me out so things should go fairly smooth. I will try to take pictures of the installs and keep them posted on here. Let me know what you think or if anybody has any ideas or advice before I start the install.

Also, I have the stock equipment from the boat I am trying to do something with. The stereo looks to be in good shape but it doesn't have a faceplate. It was stolen from the previous owners. You can order one from Kenwood though. I also have the Transom remote to go with the stereo. Two of the Kenwoods are in good condition and two are kind of beat up, the ones from the bow. I am assuming people kicked them. If anybody is interested, let me know. If not, I am going to throw it all on craigslist. Thanks Guys

-Anthony

87SunSportMikeyD
03-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Wow nice list you got there! I'm doing the same thing, but more budget.

Kicker KMT6 tower speakers, PowerBass 12" sub, Alpine 6.5x4 interior all controlled by an EQ + ipod, all powered by a Crunch 1300.5 amp.

TayTay
03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Let me know how the kicker tower speakers sound. I was looking into those but ended up going with the Fusions. Are you just going to wire the cabin speakers to two channels on the amp and the tower speakers to the other two? I was thinking about doing that but decided to bridge the 5 channel amp for the tower and just get another 4 channel for the cabin.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Over on WW there is a thread with Phil from Kicker talking. I was going to get the Kicker 700.5 but he said it wouldn't be enough for my whole boat. So I found this amp that is a bit more powerful. I really didn't want two amps. You could also use the cd deck to run the interior speakers.

Four interior 6.5's on two channels, tower speakers on two channels (one per pod), single sub on 500w sub channel. The amp is 200x4 + 500x1 at 2ohms.

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
03-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Sounds like it will be really nice system Anthony. I look forward to seeing some pictures
after your done. I will post some pics of my boat I bought last Oct with all my new hardware and stereo gear if it ever stops raining so I can take some pics in the SSSSSSSSSSSUNSHINE
Dave.

TayTay
03-23-2009, 08:34 AM
So this weekend I got a lot done. I got everything installed except the Subwoofer, I am still working on the box. All in all it sounds really good. It is kind of hard to judge the tower speakers because the tower is collapsed and the speakers are more or less pointed at the deck of the boat. The are real loud though. The amp install went good. A LOT of cables to run and a lot of trying to fit into tight spaces. At this point I am just happy everything worked when I turned it on. I know before I said pics of the install but I was pretty much on a mission and didn't take any pictures. I will get some of the final product though and throw them on here.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-23-2009, 10:29 AM
How did you mount your amp rack?

TayTay
03-23-2009, 04:11 PM
I have two Amps. The smaller four channel one, I mounted on the right wall of the storage compartment on the passanger side. I just screwed it into the carpet there, I am not sure what is behind it but the screws grab really well. The larger 5 channel amp I mounted on the left side of the same compartment the same way. Two of the screws grabbed really well but two of the didn't. The amp doesn't really move but I am going to keep a close eye on it the first few times I go out. I may have to try rescrewing it in. I'll try to put pictures up as soon as I can. It is finals week this week plus work doesn't give me very much time but I will get them up soon.

TayTay
03-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Here are some pictures of the new system...

TayTay
03-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Some more...

Fainlts
04-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Looks great and I bet it sounds better. I just purchased a used 03 Launch and will be installing 4 Polk um650 on the tower with a Polk 500.4 amp, 10" JBL powered sub and upgrading the cabin speakers to Polk (no amp). I have everything to start...I think. But had a question about cabling the amp. My Polk amp apprears to really be a auto amp, looks to me (eventhough I bought it from a Marine stereo shop) and the JBL Sub is marketed as Marine amp. The JBL says run amp -neg feed directly to battery. The Polk sayes "no" to terminate to a clean metal structure (in the car). Looks like you ran all -neg. directly to battery correct?

Thanks
FainLTS

TayTay
04-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Ya, I would run it all to a battery. I am not sure on the "science" behind it but I know that grounding in a car and boat are different seen as a boat is in the water. Even the grounding block that is under the dash is ran the the neg battery/cable. I just ran everything the the neg battery and there is a cable that runs from the Neg battery post and is grounded on the motor. I have not had any problems with my system. It works pretty good. It was kind of a pain the run the cable down the tower, but I did it by myself too. Let me know if you have any more questions.