PDA

View Full Version : Perko Switch Alternator Field Disconnect HELP!!

TayTay
03-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I am installing a new stereo in my 05 22 SSV and bought two batteries with a Perko Switch that has an alternator field disconnect. Now I am kind of confused about how to wire that up. First question, how do I know if I have a seperate regulator? It says to run one wire from the F on the regulator to the F1 post on the switch and another from the F on the alternator to the F2 post on the switch. If I do not have a regulator, does it still work. On the instructions it says "On unitized alternators with built-in regulator - a field disconnect cannot be installed".

Now on my alternator I have four wires. Two big ones I am assuming are ones to leave alone. Now there are two smaller wires and if I trace those they plug into what looks almost like a solenoid. The thing is that both wires come from the same plug on the alternator and go to the same plug on the solenoid thing.

I guess my final question is which wire is the F wire and then I should just splice that to the Perko switch. That is what I am getting from the instructions. Thanks for any help!

98outback
03-19-2009, 06:39 AM
I have a 2003 ssv and found out that we do not have a seperate regulator. It is built in to the alternator. You can not use the alt field disconnect with an internal regulator. Mainly older boats can use it. You will need to get a regular dual battery switch w/ out alt field disconnect. I just went with a blue seas that has off, 1, 2, and 1+2 with no alt field disconnect. Hope this helps.

Salty87
03-19-2009, 09:49 AM
do you want a switch? you could get a stinger relay. the alternator can charge both batteries but the stereo can't drain the starting battery. they're not expensive, no having to remember to switch anything. just a thought.

tg0824SSVGG
03-19-2009, 10:31 AM
I had put a "Hellroaring technologies" isolator in my last boat - it was great.
*NOTE: I also had a switch with a key, because I left that boat on a slip*

the digital isolator loses less than a mechanical relay - so more power goes
to the batteries from the alternator.

You can press a button to combine the batteries if you need to for starting, or whatever,
they even offer a "remote" switch to put on the dash to do that if you want.

Not cheap, but check them out - google should find them for you.

TayTay
03-19-2009, 04:33 PM
I have already bought the Switch. I will just hook it up without using the disconnect. Thanks for all of the info!

87SunSportMikeyD
03-19-2009, 06:06 PM
I just got a SurePower multi-batt combiner/relay from PolarBill on WakeWorld for $60. Great deal. I think with something like that you can forgo the perko and it is totally automatic.

wotan2525
03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
http://bluesea.com/products/7650

This is what I use... looks like a lot of good options in here. The electrical system is what I spent my money on last year.... all new batteries (4x), new 160amp 1-wire alt, 3-bank on-board charger, and new 0-gauge throughout. I was so sick of having electrical issues -- shouldn't have to worry about it for a while now.

TayTay
03-24-2009, 01:45 PM
That sounds like a pretty intense electrical system. What kind of boat is it in and what are you powering?

Salty87
03-24-2009, 02:31 PM
i recently swapped out my old cables for some 0 gauge... for the battery positive, ground, and alternator...almost starts up now when i just look at the key.

TayTay
03-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Thats funny! What size do they put in the boats from the factory? Any reason to look at upgrading with a 2005? I dont think I need to but who knows.

wotan2525
03-26-2009, 12:15 PM
That sounds like a pretty intense electrical system. What kind of boat is it in and what are you powering?

87 Saltare

2500W RMS -> 4 x 12" Subs
4x150W RMS -> 4 x 6.5" Components
4x150W RMS -> 4 x 6x9" Tower Speakers

Yep. It's pretty mad.

TayTay
03-26-2009, 01:54 PM
87 Saltare

2500W RMS -> 4 x 12" Subs
4x150W RMS -> 4 x 6.5" Components
4x150W RMS -> 4 x 6x9" Tower Speakers

Yep. It's pretty mad.

Thats alot of bass! Sounds like a pretty cool system though.

Salty87
03-26-2009, 03:45 PM
i'd like to hear that...i've got a lonely 12" sub

TayTay
03-26-2009, 04:35 PM
As Do I, only a 10 though. I put it in a sealed box though and it sounds alright. I still have to do some adjusting with the gains and crossovers, etc. It just gets too loud in the garage and the wife gets upset. Tomorrow out on the river we should get her tuned in.

So does anybody have a free air (infinite baffle) sub installed? If so, how do they sound? I was playing with the idea but was told by people that I would get better sound out of a sealed enclosure.

wotan2525
03-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Yes. It's the loudest boat I've ever heard. Literally makes ripples in the water around the entire thing.... complete overkill.

The party goers and girls love it... the hardcore riders think it's a waste of space to have 4x12" subs under the rear seat when I could probably get another 1200lbs of ballast under there.

Can't please everyone!

Salty87
03-27-2009, 01:18 PM
So does anybody have a free air (infinite baffle) sub installed? If so, how do they sound? I was playing with the idea but was told by people that I would get better sound out of a sealed enclosure.

free air's are a compromise for when you absolutely have no space. takes alot more power to get the same sound so unless you have a huge sub amp it could be a more expensive way to go. you also won't really know what the sound will be like because each 'enclosure' is totally different from another. with a sealed box, you know what you're gonna get if it's the right size.

TayTay
03-30-2009, 04:23 PM
That is the same thing that I heard. I went with the sealed box an it takes a little foot space away from the driver but I am 6' and it was fine for me. It sounds pretty nice as well so I am happy with my decision.