PDA

View Full Version : Prop???

ol88
03-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Wantin to put new prop on my 88. Can anyboay tell me the best for for my boat? I wana be quick out of the hole. Not sure what kind I have on it now cause I bought the boat used. I am being told that a 4 blade will get me out out of the hole better but if that is true what pitch size and all that jazz do i start looking for?

Please advise

and once again thanks in advance:)

csuggs
03-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Do you have a manual to tell you what prop was original equipment? First, you need to know the rotation (LH or RH) then the diameter (you can measure that) and the pitch. Also you need to know what bore the prop is to fit your shaft (probably 1" or 1-1/8"). I have an 86 Sunsport and the correct prop from the factory is a 13" diameter, 13" pitch, left hand rotation, 1" bore, 3-blade prop from OJ. My understanding is that a 4-blade prop will give you a quicker hole-shot but not as fast on the top-end (or do I have that backwards?) What motor and gearbox do you have?

ol88
03-19-2009, 09:20 AM
I have no clue. That sounds really bad. I guess I will just take it to local shop and getthem to check it out for me. The only book I have on the the boat is for the motor

tg0824SSVGG
03-19-2009, 09:39 AM
From a Supra owners manual:

"In general, changing the propellor to a low pitched prop will increase acceleration and load ability, but will slighly decrease top speed.

Changing to a high-pitch prop will achieve higher top speed with a light load, but acceleration and power will decrease".

Now - without knowing what you already have - how do you know? Have you looked
closely at the prop to see if it's stamped on there?

I also live in COlorado - higher elevation, so we have to adjust here for the fact
the engine doesn't have quite as much "pep"

On my 08 24 footer, I am running an OJ 14x14.25 (I might have those 2 numbers backwards) XMP Edge four blade prop.

It's pretty nice here, but when I got to Lake Powell - lower elevation - it jumps even
better.

Salty87
03-19-2009, 09:43 AM
give acme marine a call. they can help over the phone. they'll want to know what you've got on there now...the numbers stamped around the hub of the prop, what you're looking for...how much ballast, if you want any top end or all hole shot...how you run your rig.

you'll probably end up with a 3 blade, they've come a long way over the years.

this is one of the most noticeable changes you can make on a boat. even reverse will be different. you'll be surprised, esp if your old prop had alot of miles on it.

http://www.acmemarine.com/our_props.php

ol88
03-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Its a 3 blade that I have. Its stamped but I cant look while at work. Ha work is always getting in the way of my outdoor fun

Salty87
03-19-2009, 12:22 PM
4 blade used to be for pulling and 3 blade for speed but they've changed alot. i'd be curious if they told you to get a 4 blade. they recommended 3 blade for my 87 saltare with a decent load of ballast/people.

csuggs
03-19-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm real happy with a three blade on mine - comes out of the hole nice.

tg0824SSVGG
03-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Ted,

I guess part of your choice/decision is based on how heavy your boat is?

I can assure you that my 24 footer is a HEAVY monster, even before adding
people, fuel or any ballast. (boat dry is 3950 lbs, now add 52 gallons of fuel, 3 adults, at least - and all the toys, I can hold 16 people - and 1900 lbs of ballast) - so for me
I just about HAVE to have this 4 blade prop - your situation is likely different, so make
sure you're taking your normal use into consideration when deciding.

Salty87
03-19-2009, 02:37 PM
nada lists 3450 lbs for the '88 saltare

not too far behind you tg ;)

i love the new 24'ers, but....do they come with a loveseat for the cap'n yet??? haha

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/DSCF0227-1.jpg

tg0824SSVGG
03-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Nope - no loveseat - but lots of rear-facing seating - see here:

http://www.supraboats.com/gravity24ssv/index.php?swf=photo

Once at this link, click the lower-right image to see the interior layout.

ONe thing not visible in the photo, in the center - pass thru to the front, there
is a pad that folds up to make another rear-facing seat, and in the middle of hte passenger
side seat, it also lifts up to make a rear facing back rest.

One thing - I love the dual seat behind the pilot - but in my old boat, that space
was open-floor space, so when we travel with the boat - there was a lot more
room for big coolers, etc on the floor - but I LOVE THIS BOAT!

Salty87
03-19-2009, 03:15 PM
damn, that's almost like a bus. i'm sure i could get used to it :)

ol88
03-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Wish my boat was that big but i like not having payments;)

tg0824SSVGG
03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Yes, I miss not having payments, which reminds me - I better get my old boat listed soon.
No payments on that, but using that money to drive down what I own on this monster makes said payments go away faster.