PDA

View Full Version : OK so

ol88
03-20-2009, 07:12 PM
wnet out today and boat was running great. Stopped in the middle of the lake just to chill with the wife an kid and went I went to start her back up....NOTHING! I got towed back to the palce where I launched thinking it could have been a batt issuse. Picked up new batt and still nothing. I have power to the dash and all swithes check out good. What could be wrong. Remember is an 88 saltare so not so new. I have check out all power and all is good but nothing works. IE: gauges, radio, lights oh yeah and the motor will not start. Not even a noise. Any help on this would be great before I take it to a shop.

As always thanks in advance

ol88

tg0824SSVGG
03-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Does your boat have a safety-cut-off switch? I have seen this exact
thing when that switch gets "bumped" - and doesn't LOOK like it's off, but is.

WHat about a breaker on the engine somewhere?

ol88
03-20-2009, 07:51 PM
No safty cut off that I can find. Motor has some red button on it but not sure what it does. I'm just lost on this and think it may be something simple and really don't know any shops around me an don't want to get taken for money but its not lookin so good for me

ol88
03-20-2009, 08:05 PM
O an I pushed that red button an it didn't do anything diFf

saltare inverts
03-20-2009, 08:24 PM
That red button by motor is a full system breaker. If it is tripped nothing on dash will work, or anywhere for that matter. I have this problem with my 86 Supra Saltare and a friend of mine has had the same problem with his 89 Supra. We have learned to jiggle the throttle handle, sounds hoaky but works great for us. There is a switch in the throttle that will keep motor shut off it it thinks you are in gear and trying to start motor.

tg0824SSVGG
03-20-2009, 08:30 PM
YOu must have never watched all the movies that say "NEVER touch the red button" - but that would be the breaker I was referring to.

Dang - try the throttle jiggle recommended by saltare_inverts.

Hey inverts - what does your name mean? What are you inverting on?

michael hunter
03-20-2009, 09:43 PM
The neutral safety switch is on the transmission . If jiggling the throttle works you may have to adjust the trans linkage cable at the trans. Is this the boat that has been sitting for a year? Its a good practice to remove and clean all the battery connections all the way
back to the starter every couple years. Helps keep SBC [summer boating catastraphe] away.

Congrats on the new boat you will love it once you get the bugs out.
Make sure you post pics.

Salty87
03-22-2009, 09:37 AM
I have power to the dash and all swithes check out good...... I have check out all power and all is good but nothing works. IE: gauges, radio, lights oh yeah and the motor will not start. Not even a noise. Any help on this would be great before I take it to a shop.

As always thanks in advance

ol88

the tow of shame, the quietest time on the boat. i kinda like it, peaceful and serene...don't tell anyone. haha

ol88...which is it...power to the dash or not?

michael mentioned the transmission switch, i'd check that first. you can wiggle the throttle or trace the cable to the transmission lever. disconnect the cable and move it by hand. have someone try the key while you move it. you should feel the indents for neutral.

if that's not it...have you done a tune-up or anything? any changes from last time if was running?

have a voltmeter?...the hours at a shop will add up fast. i hated my boat whenever i took it in, money pit. they'll find 5 other things, it's an old boat. speaking of which, you've heard the line about what does B.O.A.T. stand for?...

Lmsayler
03-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I had a similar problem with my 85.

First check to be certain you have a good ground. If it is good you can follow the positive power fairly easily.

See if you are getting power to and through the solenoid. If you are not getting power to the solenoid you may have a break between the battery and the solenoid. If you have power in but not through you may not be getting the key switch back to the solenoid.

If you have power in and a good connection with the key you may have a bad solenoid that will cut power to everything.

If you have power to the solenoid you can jump the solenoid to see if power gets to the starter. If power is getting to and through you may have a bad starter.

ol88
03-23-2009, 09:15 AM
yes i know what boat stands for. So far its true. Its in the shop now. It seems like a grounding problem. I ook a jumper from the batt neg to the first ground under the dash and everthing works. I just cant find out where its messed up at. So its in the shop. I should have it back by fri. Well thats what the shop said. I thought it would be in for alot longer but I will take it. Gotta work a few extra hours this week cause this boat is really a starting to be a $ PIT!

ol88
03-23-2009, 07:56 PM
boat is now fixed. It was a bad wire all along. Its all good now. To bad I have him doing some seat work now. This boat is going to look alot better alot faster than I thought

mapleleaf
03-23-2009, 08:13 PM
That's Great, Mine seems to be taking forever...... There's still ice in some spots, I haven't run outta time yet!!
Maybe I'm still frozen... B.O.A.T. stands for something???? "best on a trailer"????

ol88
03-23-2009, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=B.O.A.T. stands for something???? "best on a trailer"????[/QUOTE]

I like that alot better than brake out another thousand! Just not as fun

mapleleaf
03-23-2009, 09:13 PM
I was avoiding using money on purpose, lol, boats on trailer's really aren't that great!!