PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Sunsport rudder leak

knoble
03-21-2009, 10:34 AM
My sunsport has a rudder leak after the prop shaft can off the coupler on the back of the trans!! I fixed the prop shaft problem but I now have a leak coming form the rudder! Does anyone know if the shaft seal kit from skidim will work on sunsports rudder? I do not see any "MH" on the rudder. It only says supra. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

87SunSportMikeyD
03-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Post the link of the Skidim kit you are looking at.

I had a leak on my 87 SunSport last year. Once you take the rudder out it is very simple. It is all brass on brass except for two small o-rings. Remove the rudder, take an o-ring to NAPA auto parts or any other parts store. It is a standard automotice o-ring. If you unscrew the rear bench seat that should be enough room to work from inside the boat.

knoble
04-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks i will try that!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
04-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Actually I am finding out that different years or models can have different rudder seals. Some are o-rings, some are a flat graphite ring and some are packed with waxed-rope. They are all pretty widely available. I would just take her apart before you buy anything. It was pretty easy but a tough reach for your arm if the gas tank is still in.

knoble
04-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Yes, Their are several different types. I am used to the old waxed rope style. Never had one like this before! I have owned mainly Nautiques before this and they all had the rope.
I took mine apart and it has the o-rings. But it only has one that i found but it has grooves for three! I am going to put three in their and see how it turns. Hopefully it will turn with out much effort! Did your rudder have more than one o-ring in it?

87SunSportMikeyD
04-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Mine also only had one o-ring when I took it apart. Mine had grooves for two o-rings. Funny, huh?

I should point out that removing the rudder was easy but getting it back in was a bit of a pain. Not too bad. I think we had one person under the boat using a car jack to get the rudder all the way in. Then a person in the boat would insert the cotter pin. Of course you were crammed into a cramped position and your arm has to go alllllllllllll the way back there under the gas tank... Much easier with the tank removed, but that in itself is a lot more work!

Ours also had a vertical flat spot on the rudder shaft. We thought this was from missing an o-ring. We very gently sanded the groove out to be round again.

knoble
04-28-2009, 06:03 PM
my did not have a vertical flat spot in it! But i took some extra time and polished the rudder up and it look sweet! Will be putting it back in this weekend!
Thanks!!:cool: