PDA

View Full Version : progress report...

mapleleaf
03-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Bit of a crazy weekend east of Toronto, The photo's may help a bit. Spent the day Sat. juggling cars to clear room for the boat in one of the garages.
Plan was to seperate boat and trailer. Be set up to Replace fender's, bunks and paint trailer.
Turns out with my hillbilly set up the seperation took a while. Got'er done before dark, and I wish I could load the video of it, truly a family moment!
Purchased replacement fender's, have the old ones cut off and plan to be back there next weekend to start welding.
It was pretty nuts looking at my boat floating momentarily from the roof of an old garage!!!! the header in the pic's was a "quick" retro fit.....

87SunSportMikeyD
03-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Wowwwwww I forget is yours a SunSport or..Conbrio??

michael hunter
03-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Nice job on lifting I did it last year to rebuild my trailer bunks and suspension.
Have you tried a little rubbing compound to the hull? I don't recall Supra ever building
a pink boat?

87SunSportMikeyD
03-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Nice and easy when it's lifted! He caught ya! Now you HAVE to buff it out. :P

mapleleaf
03-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Nice job on lifting I did it last year to rebuild my trailer bunks and suspension.
Have you tried a little rubbing compound to the hull? I don't recall Supra ever building
a pink boat?

well that's gonna have to be the plan! I wasn't sure if regular rubbing compund on my buffer was the right stuff. I did have plans to paint it, but easily won't have time. I'm trying to refer to it as soft rose, the trailer's going white.....

Mikey she's the shallow conbrio, apparently side sac's work really well in these boats, we'll see!

Salty87
03-23-2009, 08:53 PM
your boat is going to look so sharp after you buff it out. your arms are going to hurt so bad, eat yer spinach. wax on/wax off...lol

i always use 3m compound, marine heavy duty. you might just skip to wet sanding though. you have to get rid of all of the faded/oxidized gel coat or the haze will come back. reds fade the most unfortunately for your boat. whichever way, finish it up with Finesse It before waxing. it's expensive but you'll get a deep shine.

mapleleaf
03-23-2009, 09:07 PM
So is it the same as wet sanding a car? 800 or finer? And I guess the decals are done....to be replaced at a later time????

I've been roughín it, big beams and floor joists!!!! Another couple weeks the arms be ready!!!!!

Blackntan90
03-24-2009, 08:53 PM
That is awesome! you sir are a very brave man, thank you for sharing!

mapleleaf
03-24-2009, 09:00 PM
I didn't feel so brave with the back of the boat off the trailer and no way to hoist the front.... We worked it out but it took some head scratch'in and a trip to the barn!

Salty, the rookie here could use a list of products for the buff job (BJ??!!)
I gotcha on the 3M compund and the finesse it, what about wax, you like or another in particular??
And I'll have to get some pic's, but I'm chalk full of chip's and ding's above the pink to the top of the gunnel...any ideas????

Salty87
03-25-2009, 08:33 AM
i've tried a few compounds, i've found 3m stuff to work best on my saltare so i use them for wax too. it doesn't really matter which wax, they have tons. i'm sure i used a marine version, it doesn't last forever so don't break the bank there.

if you don't have a polisher/buffer, harbor freight. your hull will eat a random orbital for breakfast. wool pads with the velcro backing.

for the chips, you probably want to get a gel coat kit. marine-tex would be the easiest but the color won't be very close. search for spectrum gel coat...i think they have the off-white that supra used back then. this thread was on ww not long ago, how to.... http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/674757.html?1237215450

mapleleaf
03-25-2009, 08:17 PM
i've tried a few compounds, i've found 3m stuff to work best on my saltare so i use them for wax too. it doesn't really matter which wax, they have tons. i'm sure i used a marine version, it doesn't last forever so don't break the bank there.

if you don't have a polisher/buffer, harbor freight. your hull will eat a random orbital for breakfast. wool pads with the velcro backing.

for the chips, you probably want to get a gel coat kit. marine-tex would be the easiest but the color won't be very close. search for spectrum gel coat...i think they have the off-white that supra used back then. this thread was on ww not long ago, how to.... http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/674757.html?1237215450

So that that thread on WW seems to fill in the gaps. I got some work to do. Maybe I can find an off white gell patch and make it seamless, we'll see. Grant's work on that Nautique looks pretty good, don't know if touch up's on a 20 year old will be as easy! I think I'll be ok running around her with the buffer now.

I'll just keep tellín myself, it's Soft Rose Not Pink, or is Pink the new Black? it's so hard to keep up!