PDA

View Full Version : Question

ol88
03-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Can you guys tell me why I have 2 speedos on my boat? It might be dumb question but I would like to know.

tg0824SSVGG
03-24-2009, 09:19 AM
http://www.sportscomet.com/Water-Sports/232563.htm

Why do ski boats have 2 Speedometers?
Dual speedometers date back to the days when competion slalom water skiers aimed for the "perfect" speed of 36 mph. Because boat speedometers are fairly inaccurate, and most use a water pickup tube to measure water pressure, manufacturers started making boats with two speedometers with the pickup tubes mounted on both sides of the hull as a way to help assure the speed is fairly accurate as long as both readings are the same.

Salty87
03-24-2009, 09:45 AM
if you're lucky, one of them might be working at any given time

i recently put a faria paddle wheel based speedo in but i must not have finished the wiring and i put my sub in place before trouble-shooting it. gonna wait until i have to pull the sub back out before messing with it. got it from skidim...wish i could say it works great. i think it will be more reliable than the pitot's once i get it working.

there's always perfect pass.

csuggs
03-24-2009, 09:50 AM
As stated, two speedos were used by hard-core slalom drivers to get the 34 or 36mph pass through the course.The guys I used to ski with also used a stopwatch from gate to gate. Kind of old-school now though with all the latest technology taking over.
I have one speedo that sometimes works, but it really doesn't matter because with my boat, (351, 1:1 trans, 13x13 prop) 2000rpm equals 20mph and 3500rpm equals 35mph and so forth.

ol88
03-24-2009, 10:11 AM
cool thanks guys. I was just thinking about it. They both work. I was talking to the at the shop my boat is at and he is glad to see all of my orig gauges working. He is saying my boat is in real good working order and seems to be well taking care of. Now I really cant wait to get it back

tg0824SSVGG
03-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Ted,

On my old boat (before I installed hte perfect pass - which is also in the new boat) - I used
to use a hand-held GPS unit - on a RAM mount next to dash - as my speedo. My Garmin
had ability to display the speed in LARGE numbers so I could see them.

Even on the new boat WITH perfect pass, I use the GPS as well - just to make sure
we're close -

The new Perfect Pass are GPS-based - but $$

ol88
03-24-2009, 11:28 AM
They seem to be working. Next time I go out im gonna take my haldheld along. Thats a good idea I would have never thought of that

Blackntan90
03-24-2009, 09:06 PM
On my 90 Mariah I have 4 speedos to get really dialed in...2 are the original airguide units, then we have the depth finder that uses a paddle wheel and shows water temp and lastly is the trusty gps-I can adjust the airguides depending on temp/elevation using the depthfinder and gps!

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
03-27-2009, 04:16 PM
While were on the topic of perfect pass does anyone have any comments on perfect
pass stargazer gps based system?? I do not have a system yet and I was going to purchase this system in the spring, going to get wakeboard edition not 3 event.
Cost aprox 1300 Canadian plus taxes.
Dave

tg0824SSVGG
03-27-2009, 07:45 PM
I hear very good things ... unless you ride in water with a current.

saltare inverts
03-28-2009, 12:55 AM
I ride in water with a current. I have closely figured out how the current changes the speed but is hard to explain to whoever is pulling me. Currents are frustrating when trying to find that sweet spot speed.

csuggs
04-13-2009, 06:28 AM
I ride in water with a current. I have closely figured out how the current changes the speed but is hard to explain to whoever is pulling me. Currents are frustrating when trying to find that sweet spot speed.

I would think that what matters is your speed relative to the water, much like an airplane flies at the right air speed, not ground speed. So isn't the same true with the boat? Your nautical speed in the water should be reflected by your speedos, regardless of the current?