PDA

View Full Version : Reminiscing

csuggs
03-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Thoughts of spring and boating brings about all the memories of growing up on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. Such as learing to ski at Conowingo Dam in the upper Chesapeake behind our 15-foot open runabout with a 35hp outboard on long, flat-bottom wooden skis. Then in 1981 dad bought a new 22-foot Grady White with 150hp outboard and we really thought we had something special. It was a lot of fun. We upgraded our skis, and got our first kneeboard. In 1984 my older brother got serious about skiing and purchased a one-year old American Skier from Bud Raley, who got a new boat every year and sold one of his old boats to my brother David. I was fortunate enough to spend part of the summer of 85 with my older brother at the Carpenter's Point Ski CLub. There we skied the slalom course (my brother making turns around the front of the boat), they jumped for distance and then we skied on either one or two tricks - sometimes doing "toe tricks". Those are such fond memories. . . .
After I got married in 87, my wife and I hooked up with some friends who lived on Seneca Creek near Baltimore (Chesapeake Bay area) and we skied with them behind their old Glastron with cable steering and a new 70hp Johnson motor. They had a private dock and ramp right on the river. No wake allowed their on weekends so we did most of our skiing on weeknights -staying out there until dark 2 or 3 nights a week before coming in for a generous helping of Maryland steamed crabs. Mmmmmm - I sure miss eating crabs. Soon, our friends on the river purchased a brand new Mastercraft 190 Prostar and we continued our traditional evening ski episodes as long as we could - even after the kids came along. More great memories . . . . .
Then my wife and I moved to Parkersburg, WV on the Ohio River. It's not the Chesapeake, but there's a certain amount of potential here. Once again, we became friends with a couple on the river and began teaching our 3 sons to ski. My middle son was barely 3 years-old when he learned to kneeboard - by himself! My wife would get in the water with him and help him to balance himself on the board, already in a kneeling position (not strapped down). Then, after the boat starting pulling him, I would pick her up on the jetski and we would follow the boat alongside my son until he either let go or wiped out. All three boys would eventually learn to ski, knee board and wake board during summers on the Ohio River or at nearby Sutton Lake. Memories . . . . .
Finally, I purchased my first boat at the end of last summer! Of coarse it's a Supra (1986 Sunsport Skier). What took me so long to make the purchase? Why haven't I kept our family enjoying boating except on someone else's boat? Could it be that I watched my buddies put their heart and soul (not to mention their paychecks) into their boats over the years and I was unwilling to make the sacrifice? I'm really not sure, but I do know this - When I became a boat owner I realized that it doesn't really matter what I have to do or how much I have to spend to fix it up or improve or even just keep it running. Although I've only had the boat for less than a year, it's like an old friend to me, because of all those memories - and now I can never go back . . . . .

Clint

Salty87
03-24-2009, 12:22 PM
sometimes, there's nothing better than someone else's boat. kinda like kids ;)

sounds like a fun area to grow up in. we did our fair share of boating growing up in louisiana...so glad to have my own now too.

mapleleaf
03-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah, that was a great read. Bought my first boat at the same time Clint. Feels like I'm 10 and yell'in "Hit It" at my Dad.
The look on his face last summer, when he buried the throttle on my conbrio, was one I haven't seen since I was a child, wish I coulda heard what he was trying to yell over that sweet purr of all eight.....I think it was something about doing 40 in a ski boat, we had are fair share a tin cans growing up.
Looking forward to a great summer, with a boat I've used 10 times, that feels like my bestfriend....

John

Blackntan90
03-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Great stories- been to the chesapeke a few times-my dad lives there-but that brackish water is hell on my baby, we prefer the memories we make at lake raystown and the upper potomac dams #4&5

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
03-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Here is a story of my first try to ski behind my nieghbors boat, They had 8 boys and 1 girl,all were the best in any sport, I tried all day to get up on 2 ski's off the beach,the dock etc. Randy who was in grade 5 while I was in grade 4 could slalom ski doing beach starts or dock starts, Anyway I never got up that day, but Randy says to his Dad , give me all the rope except for 30ft ,I saw it on tv so I wanna try this, So he stood on the beach watched the rope head out then ran down to water while keeping the rope tight and planted both feet and barefooted for about 2 miles down the river!!
Here I was I could not even get up on 2 ski"s and Randy saw barefooting on tv and got it first try. I will never forget this but some people are just natural atheletes and most of us really have to work at things, I am 50 now and have been skiing lots since I bought my first boat at age 28 and have become quite a good skier. but I really had to work at it and my only regret is I did not start skiing at a earlier age. Maybe if I had got up on 2 ski"s that day I would have went out of my way to find friends with boats so I could ski more often.> If you own a boat you really are blessed with something that can truly be so much fun for friends and family and just forget about the cost because the memories are priceless. I am on my 5th boat and will never be without one!!

csuggs
04-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Sun's out, flowers and trees are blooming, my boat is nearly ready (only a matter of a few hours work), AND I'M STUCK IN THE OFFICE! Good thing I don't work where I have a view of the river or I wouldn't be able to stand myself (nor would any else!)

mapleleaf
04-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I hear ya..... It was down in the twenties here on Mon and tues and now she's warming up and all sunny...
Going to work on my trailer tomorrow (new fender's, steps and then paint and bunks). I am itching to dewinterize.... Just don't trust this weather in Ontario, gonna probably wait until the boats here in Toronto at the end of April, and yes I'm nervous, it's nowhere near ready!!!!