PDA

View Full Version : Stress cracks = bad or just cosmetic?

thescott
03-26-2009, 11:51 AM
I have an 08 22SSV. I was waxing the hull and noticed some stress cracks around the hole where the prop shaft comes out. They seem pretty minor - but it still freaked me out a bit. So main question is, in general - are stress cracks something to worry about, or are they mostly a cosmetic issue?

Thanks!

TayTay
03-26-2009, 01:57 PM
From everthing that I have heard, stress cracks (in the gel coat) are only cosmetic. I have not checked the prop shaft but I have them at the base of my tower around the front feet. Someone else may be able to answer better though.

Salty87
03-26-2009, 03:42 PM
if they are only in the gel coat, not too bad of a problem...unless you leave your boat in the water. i'd probably worry and want to get them fixed asap.

you'd know if you hit something to cause them, something would be messed up. kinda of an odd place though...you gonna bring it in and let the dealer know?

thescott
03-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Definitely have't hit anything.
I do plan to notify the dealer asap. Bummer that I discovered them right as we're heading into the season. I really don't want my boat out of commission this time of the year. Will have to see what they say.

The boat lives on the trailer in a garage. The longest it will spend in the water is 2 weeks in August during our yearly trip to Trinity in Nor Cal. Even then we pull it out after a week and address the skum line though.

REALLY hoping this doesn't turn into a huge issue...

Thanks for the responses.

thescott
04-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Update-

Brought the boat to our local dealer, Liquid Wrenches in livermore, CA on Saturday 4/11. By Wednesday the 15th they had already received warranty authorization from Skier's Choice and started repairs.

So far so good - Will be picking up tomorrow. The process is going smoothly and hopfully the finished product will be just as satisfying. Liquid Wrenches has kept me in the loop through the process and seem like a pretty good shop. I'm also impressed the SC came through with the authorization so quick. Thanks SC!

With any luck, I'll be out on lake Berryessa this Saturday - enjoying the CA sun!

ronald
04-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Well with any luck the heat would come back, was a 100 everday for 3 days now it turned cold again, in the hi 60s.

Good luck

H2Oman
04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
thescott, glad to hear your being taken care of. Right call, get it fixed. Above the water line is just cosmetic. Under the water line can be a big problem over time. Now it isn't a problem to worry about again.