PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Launch 22 SSV Problem

CJ
03-30-2009, 02:19 PM
I have an issue when im getting on the gas the engine is bogging down at like 3000 rpm's. I have replaced the fuel filter and no change. Has anyone else had this issue and if not does anyone have any advice. Thanks in advance.
CJ

TayTay
03-30-2009, 02:37 PM
When I took my boat out Friday, I had a similar issue. It ended up being the motor overheating due to a shredded impeller and the Computer putting the boat into "limp mode". Are you over heating at all. Not sure if this helps but I thought I would put it out there.

CJ
03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
No overheating issues, but you are the 2nd to say impeller. How hard is that to change?

TayTay
03-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Well I am new to the boat owners group and like a dumb a$$ couldn't find where it was. I guess I didn't look too hard either but it is in the front of the motor (back of the boat right near the transom) and it looked like it would be pretty easy to replace. I took mine to the shop and they charged me $50 for the part and $110 for labor. It was only there for about three hours so it cant be that hard. In hindsite I wish I would have done a little more research online to find where it was but I also feel nervous working on a $40k boat if I dont really know what I am doing.

One think you can do to check is if you have a fake-a-lake, hook it up and turn your boat on. There should be water coming out of the exhaust. When I hooked mine up, the was water dripping out of the exhaust and most of it was just coming out of the plunger at the bottom of the boat. If there is a bunch of water coming out the back, then the impeller should be working alright. Thats what I take from it so you may want to give that a try and see what happens.

Another thing is the reason MINE was limping like that was because of the computer. The engine was overheating so the computer shut the boat down like that. Even if it is you impeller and you change that, you are going to have to get your ECU codes reset before you wont "limp" anymore. I dont have the slightest clue how to do that. The mech did it for me. I would assume you need some special equipment, who knows though. Hope the info helps.

TayTay
04-01-2009, 04:26 PM
CJ, I was just doing some more looking and if you go to Idmar's website, you can download the manual for your motor. In that manual it show's you how to change your impeller. Looks VERY simple so I would take a look at that and see if it is screwed up. I found the impeller on skidim for 33 bucks. I wish I would have known all of this before I took it to the shop and spent 170 for them to change it!! GRRR