PDA

View Full Version : changing fluids

bellsons
04-01-2009, 07:55 AM
i have a 1984 supra rider w/ a 454 pleasurecraft v8.
Ive looked for a drain plug on the oil pan. cant find one.
I also need to change the trans fluid. how do you drain them
can someone tell me how?
thanks

McDye
04-01-2009, 08:54 AM
I am not fimilar with your rig, but I would expect some type of manaul oil drain. I have not heard of a inboard motor not having a oil drain hose that runs off the oil pan to drain out the bilge drain, but i assume possible.

Some use a type of vacuum device to extract the fuilds especially for the transmission via the port where one adds fuild. For the engine some use the extractor on the oil drain hose or the dip stick tube.

May places have different types of extractors, google on fuild extractor.

Salty87
04-01-2009, 08:55 AM
there isn't enough clearance between the oil pan and hull on my boat w/454, 87 saltare.

a vacuum extractor pump works pretty good. alot easier to handle than any of the other pumps, less stuff to keep track of while using it.

any marine store should carry them, look like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31KNWRA4RTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

bellsons
04-01-2009, 09:49 PM
i had no clue how to drain

I am not fimilar with your rig, but I would expect some type of manaul oil drain. I have not heard of a inboard motor not having a oil drain hose that runs off the oil pan to drain out the bilge drain, but i assume possible.

Some use a type of vacuum device to extract the fuilds especially for the transmission via the port where one adds fuild. For the engine some use the extractor on the oil drain hose or the dip stick tube.

May places have different types of extractors, google on fuild extractor.

bellsons
04-01-2009, 09:52 PM
what kind of milage/hours do you get with your 454?

there isn't enough clearance between the oil pan and hull on my boat w/454, 87 saltare.

a vacuum extractor pump works pretty good. alot easier to handle than any of the other pumps, less stuff to keep track of while using it.

any marine store should carry them, look like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31KNWRA4RTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Salty87
04-02-2009, 08:35 AM
what kind of milage/hours do you get with your 454?

i'm kinda starting over. had to tear the floor and stringers out, along with a couple hundred pounds of wet foam. i haven't had her out wakeboarding since finishing the project.

before then, i'd get around 8 hours on a full tank loaded for boarding. under 5 gal/hr., never actually put 40 gal in but i have a 40 gal tank.

i bought one of the drain hoses that attach to the oil pan. if, for some reason, you've got a bunch of room under your oil pan...i'll let you have it for cheap. can't remember what i paid, got it at skidim.

michael hunter
04-02-2009, 10:45 AM
89 sunsport 351 V8.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/supraoilplug006.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/supraoilplug001.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/supraoilplug002.jpg

bellsons
04-02-2009, 05:59 PM
my boat has been setting for 3 years. at some point and probably on several occasions, it has flooded"DEEPLY" Oh yah, i just bought it.
my trans fluid is white "milky" and my starter was rusted tight.
I took the starter apart and cleaned it back to working order.
anyway, back to the foam. How can you, if any, dry out soggy foam?
without removing the floor.

i'm kinda starting over. had to tear the floor and stringers out, along with a couple hundred pounds of wet foam. i haven't had her out wakeboarding since finishing the project.

before then, i'd get around 8 hours on a full tank loaded for boarding. under 5 gal/hr., never actually put 40 gal in but i have a 40 gal tank.

i bought one of the drain hoses that attach to the oil pan. if, for some reason, you've got a bunch of room under your oil pan...i'll let you have it for cheap. can't remember what i paid, got it at skidim.

Salty87
04-03-2009, 09:35 AM
i said a little prayer for you and your boat. flotation foam is tough stuff. it doesn't absorb water easily but once it does, it's not going to dry out. so, i guess maybe you don't have to worry about drying it out...trying to find a bright side.

maybe you got lucky and the water stayed in the bilge. my foam got wet from my exhaust leaking and from the factory foam job. they cut holes in the floor to pour foam, then seal the holes back up with the piece they had cut out. i found most of those pieces under the foam...they weren't sealed back up.

bellsons
04-04-2009, 07:11 PM
I bought a length of 3/8 hose, took a 5 gallon bucket
and a shop vac and sucked all the fluids dry.
what type of fluid should i go back with in the trans
velvet drive 1018-001

i said a little prayer for you and your boat. flotation foam is tough stuff. it doesn't absorb water easily but once it does, it's not going to dry out. so, i guess maybe you don't have to worry about drying it out...trying to find a bright side.

maybe you got lucky and the water stayed in the bilge. my foam got wet from my exhaust leaking and from the factory foam job. they cut holes in the floor to pour foam, then seal the holes back up with the piece they had cut out. i found most of those pieces under the foam...they weren't sealed back up.