PDA

View Full Version : 89 Comp Swim Platform Vibration

aklcody
04-03-2009, 01:10 PM
My swim platform has a lot of vibration from the engine exhaust coming out below it. I'm sure most people are experiencing the same problem. Any advice on how to dampen this? Looks like previous owner tried to add some silicon in the bracket area where the platform mounts to the boat, but doesn't seem to help much. Appreciate any advice, thanks, Cody.

Salty87
04-03-2009, 01:41 PM
fiberglass platform?

silicone on the brackets makes me think the platform is loose. that happens alot.

there's going to be some vibration. it shouldn't be irritating though. the easiest thing would be to turn the engine off while anyone's on the platform. not trying to be a smart ass, just sayin.

maybe one of the comp guys can tell you if you can access the platform screws from behind the transom to tighten it up. but, the transom is going to vibrate a bit too so it's going to vibrate the brackets/platform.

i have to ask of course...got pics? :)

aklcody
04-03-2009, 02:40 PM
The brackets that mount to the transom are sturdy and do not vibrate, but my fiberglass platform is removable (3 pins pull out to remove the platform) and the exhaust seems to cause the platform to vibrate in the bracket. Doesn't seem to be a real tight/snug fit between the transom bracket and the platform bracket.

Salty87
04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
gotcha...different altogether

i have a friend's boat in my driveway...same brackets as yours, solid as a rock. no rattling. i went out and shook on it.

brackets on mine are different...sorry, no help.

Blackntan90
04-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Mine is the same way, the platform does not move at all if you grab the rail and shake it- but at idle or no wake speed there is alot of vibration back there...now I noticed there are thin rubber strips attached to the boat side bracket, they are as wide as the bracket, and as tall. They dont seem to do much...

mapleleaf
04-03-2009, 05:14 PM
I have the same bracket and there is a black rubber/gasket type pad that also doesn't do much... I went around the platform tightened up the SS Bump rail and that helped the vibration...
I also upsized the diameter of the quick release pins to a stainless bolt and the platform seems quiet now, or at least last fall. The eyelet's for the pins seem to stretch over the years and a lot of the noise could be coming from there.....Bolts worked great for me, it just takes longer to get the platform off now. I thought it was a fair trade ,that noise sucked.......

Blackntan90
04-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Thats a good idea, going to try that!

mapleleaf
04-03-2009, 11:44 PM
I don't know about you guys, all I really wanna is the motor, maybe my stereo too, once I put it in!!!!!

Pdowling1
04-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I found that plastic shims, cut to fit in the bracket base, helped a lot, as well as the larger SS bolts mentioned earlier. For shim stock, I used an empty margerine tub, & cut with scissors to fit. No more rattle.

mapleleaf
04-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I can't believe it's not butter!!!
Nice work, those are going in the bottom of brackets for sure!!