PDA

View Full Version : boat covers...

mapleleaf
04-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Looking at three boat covers on iboats.com, Westland, EnduraCover, and Taylormade. Wondering if anybody has any experience with these??
Seems like the pricing is all about the same (with in $50) and I know they're not Sunbrella fabric, but for the price and good color selection, I'm trying to pick one.....
Leaning towards Westland's Skarkskin cover, 100% polyester.
Any thoughts????
Thanks,
John

michael hunter
04-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I bought the sharkskin cover from Overtons. It is a custom fit and is tailorable.
When I put the tower on my wife and I cut the cover and put Velcro inserts worked
perfectly. My new boat has a Sunbrella cover it is much better quality but much higher
price.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/SkiDogHHRSupraPicture018.jpg

mapleleaf
04-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I will look at Overton's, I like the color matched set up, only problem is I don't love my pink hull, Pink cover???? sEEMS A LITTLE NUTS... Skarkskin has a grey that should be neutral enough... When the trailer is redone it will be white, not pink, So I'm trying to work from that and leave the only pink on the hull.......

tg0824SSVGG
04-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Nah, get a lime green cover - makes your boat look like "dream barbie boat".

Just kidding - good luck. I just went to the local boat cover guy and had him
custom make one for me - it was not as expensive as I expected ...

mapleleaf
04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Found a dark grey Stearns cover at Bass Pro today, gonna test fit it Friday, $199 Can., if it's too sloppy they'll take it back.....
I let the wife paint the boy's room that lime green....... I got enough of it there!!!! thanks T

michael hunter
04-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Maple
Did you ever take some 1500 sand paper and rubbing compound to your hull?
I don't recall Supra ever making a pink boat. Are you sure its not red with heavy
oxidation?

mapleleaf
04-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Pretty sure, The trailer's pink (soft rose as I like to say), and the carpet and seat piping also pink.......Hopefully after a wet sand and wax I find out it's a dark pink?????LOL

michael hunter
04-06-2009, 09:48 AM
The piping and accent stripe on mine is pink.

mapleleaf
05-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Michael,
I started to wet sand a bit today, and the oxidation is thick!!! My hull accent is closer to yours than I originally thought, I'd say maybe a dark, dark pink...but not quite burgundy.
It's gonna take a while to bring it back, I'll post some pic's once the polishing starts......
I went looking for this thread to find the picture of your boat w/cover on. The one I got needs "some" tailoring!!!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
05-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Hahaha Maple that would be awesome if it sanded right out to dark red! You'd be grinnin from ear to ear. I have heard that older Supras have some of the thickest gelcoats and to sand away. I would also recommending using a couple different grits. Start a little rougher because there is a LOT of oxidation there. Then finer will really make it smooth. The buffer will bring out the real glow. I could STILL sand mine more. Keep plenty of fresh paper because it clogs quick and loses a lot of effectiveness.

mapleleaf
05-23-2009, 07:40 AM
word up Mikey.....I gambled and have started with 400 grit wet. I only did a small area and Salty was right, it yer spinach, I'm gonna be tired. I think I'll make the change to 600 grit to lessen the swirl marks, pretty sure the decals have to go. I'm pumped to see it polished!

The cleaning seems endless I pulled the gas tank yesterday night to clean and get to know her better, trying to chase down every bit of wiring.... These boats really are fun to work on.
My plan is to have the carpet in by next weekend and hopefully the stereo roughed in, I'm looking at a little time before the water, unless I end up screwing in the driver's seat, precarpet, just to go for a boot!!!!!!

USMCloeper
05-23-2009, 08:49 AM
im in the same boat you are just got done with the carpet, upholstery and still workin on the hull and stereo i got the majority of the wet sanding done got about 8 more feet to go then time for the rubbing compout. ill post some pics up this weekend

87SunSportMikeyD
05-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Woohoo I'm ahead on my projects haha! Stereo is done, FAE and prop done, hull done! Gotta clean vinyl and carpet figured that'd be something to do first couple times out.

If you sand with too fine a grit you will have to spend too much time in one spot and it takes FOREVER! Aftrer doing it myself again I would recommend rough and then finer so you don't have to keep working one spot with tht finer paper. Then when you switch to fine, it should be easier to get the swirls out. So is it red????!!!!!

You pulled the gas tank for fun hahaha! Wait..you are cleaning the gas tank? U crazy...its under the seats lol have fun this wknd guys

mapleleaf
05-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Nah it's not red, maybe more like a dark pink, Gas tank's clean sucka, it was dirty, real dirty, so was the bilge behind it....... had to remove the filler neck to get it out. Wasn't to bad, kinda made me want the roomier SS!
USM sounds great, I'm a little behind.......if people would stop getting married and having kid's b-days, wait a minute I never said that, my boat still wouldn't be done!!!!!!!
I'm having a blast though..........

riveredge
05-23-2009, 12:05 PM
it's truly amazing what wet sanding and buffing can do for a faded gelcoat... check out the before and after pics on the '89

USMCloeper
05-23-2009, 06:34 PM
that is amazing

mapleleaf
05-24-2009, 12:13 AM
so amazing it makes me want to go out and sand now!!!!, my boat might be red, it's a waiting game. We just don't know yet.....

Salty87
05-24-2009, 08:00 PM
that's lookin awesome

87SunSportMikeyD
05-26-2009, 11:53 PM
That is AMAZING you should post that on WW too lol!