PDA

View Full Version : Wake Plate Not Working

ronald
04-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I just bought a used Supra Launch 2002 and the Wake Plate that I have found to be hydraulic doesn't work at all. When I move the leaver up or down it shows a discharge on the amp meter like it is trying to work but will not move. Do I need to add fluid to it.....where is it located? Thanks for any help As I have no idea how this works.

Thanks

Irish_Jack
04-05-2009, 03:43 PM
If it is a Bennet system, which by the look of the rams it is, the pump will usually have four wires going to it(if I remember correctly red=B+ green=down blue=up and either black or yellow for the ground). It will have a white base, and a black-tinted cover on the top. It will most likely be located on the inboard side of the transom. There is a fluid level sight on the front part of the white base, which is the reservoir. The phillips head screw on the top-center of the cover will be removed to gain access to the filler plug on the corner of the top of the reservoir. Check for leaks at all compression fittings( it is very common for them to leak) usually you can just tighten them with a seven sixteenths open end wrench. Have some one listen to the pump while you actuate the switches--it should make a humming/wining noise. If it isn't low and it makes no noise, the valves on the pump itself could be stuck, or the armature of the pump could be stuck as well. You should check for power, ground, and make sure that the switches are directing power to the corresponding green(down) and blue(up) wires. If that is the case, there is no rebuilt for that pump that I know of...
Jonathan:cool:
P.S. use universal trim pump fluid

justflyem
04-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Do you know how to take the side panels and back off of the rear seat? it looks like the hydrolic pump is back there??

justflyem
04-05-2009, 09:19 PM
and do you think its possible that if the pump is bad that the actuators are bad too?

ronald
04-05-2009, 10:14 PM
If it is a Bennet system, which by the look of the rams it is, the pump will usually have four wires going to it(if I remember correctly red=B+ green=down blue=up and either black or yellow for the ground). It will have a white base, and a black-tinted cover on the top. It will most likely be located on the inboard side of the transom. There is a fluid level sight on the front part of the white base, which is the reservoir. The phillips head screw on the top-center of the cover will be removed to gain access to the filler plug on the corner of the top of the reservoir. Check for leaks at all compression fittings( it is very common for them to leak) usually you can just tighten them with a seven sixteenths open end wrench. Have some one listen to the pump while you actuate the switches--it should make a humming/wining noise. If it isn't low and it makes no noise, the valves on the pump itself could be stuck, or the armature of the pump could be stuck as well. You should check for power, ground, and make sure that the switches are directing power to the corresponding green(down) and blue(up) wires. If that is the case, there is no rebuilt for that pump that I know of...
Jonathan:cool:
P.S. use universal trim pump fluid
Well I got the seat and ballast tank out and found the hydraulic unit under the tank. Bad news, the motor shaft and bearing are welded together. The unit will have to be replaced. I have seen where you may be able to just buy the hydraulic pump and motor unit.

Something I still dont understand is the gauge that tell you the % of or the position of the plate. After removing and taking the unit apart I see not a thing the has anything to do with this instrument. I have seen not a thing the would indicate that the gause is wired into the system at all. Maybe someone can shead lite on this.

Thank guys for all the help as We are new to Supra's

Ronald.

Salty87
04-06-2009, 09:55 AM
i've read on other boards people raving about bennett's customer service. you might give them a shot for guidance on a repair/replace.

ronald
04-07-2009, 02:40 PM
First of I got the hydraulic unit out and it was the shaft from the motor to the pump gear was frozen on the bearing (junk). Called Bennett, they said send it in with a check for $170. and they would send me a new or rebuilt unit back. Better than $300 or $350.......

Thanks guys for your reply, was a big help. However I do wonder why Supra would not use about 2 feet more hose length and move the nuit two feet forward. This would have saved me a lot of work as it was located under the back seat and under the wake tank and have to remove the center section of the floor board as well as get the engine cover out of the way. Would have saved about two hours work. But I guess then when you take your boat to the dealer they would not be able to charge you the big bucks to R&R it.

:)

Ronald

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
04-09-2009, 12:53 PM
before you replace your pump,confirm wiring is ok at harness at pump. I thought I had a bad acuator and it turned out to be switch at drivers seat,put A 12V battery on swim grid and make up pos and neg jumpers off of temp battery then take apart harness and cross [pos across two colors blue/yellow and grnd housing with neg jumper. red from dash is power blue/green is one direction blue yellow is the other direction. you can confirm these wiring connections at bennett web site.

ON my 2002 Supra Launch SS the control for trim plate is right where your arm rests for controlling throttle, so I figured the reason switch was burned out was driver was
always hitting switch with his elbow.So I made up a smoked plexi glass cover for switches and drilled out finger holes for switches. I also made another cover for ballast switches as one pump was burned out from being left on because drivers knee hits that switch. This was really poor placement of controls by Supra and really my only complaint about this boat. smoked glass looks really cool and I do not have to worry about engaging switches by mistake.
Dave

Zkdk3000
12-11-2016, 01:09 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I am just purchased an 02 Launch SS with a bad pump. Does anyone know the general lifespan of these pumps or what determines its lifespan? Prior owner said it went out around '09. Boat has 270 hours so that's 7 years of little use. Thanks