PDA

View Full Version : 87 Sunsport loose tower mount?

Supra-in-steamboat
04-08-2009, 07:44 PM
The front left tower mount is a bit loose. Can anyone give some insight on how to access the tower mounts?
It is not terribly loose- but i do not have any fiberglass cracks- and i do not want any. When the tower is assembled, it is hard to even tell that the mount is loose. I understand that all towers have some needed flex- but am concerned. Any help is always appreciated. Thank you in advance.
dp in steamboat.

michael hunter
04-09-2009, 12:47 AM
What kind of tower? Can you post some pics?

87SunSportMikeyD
04-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Depending on where they are mounted, you should be able to get to the rear ones through the the forward cabin speaker holes. For the forward ones, I had to crawl inside the open bow and scoot myself on my back till I was under the bow cupholders.

Supra-in-steamboat
04-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys- I will post some pics when it stops snowing here... 35 days till opening day.
Thanks Mikey- my boat doesn't have front speakers, but it will now. Good idea. The tower is a joystick. I am only assuming that there are bolts beneath the topside mounts. If I have to cut holes to access it, I have a feeling they will be 6x9 speaker size- but I probably just need to look harder. Thanks again for your time.
dp in steamboat

Supra-in-steamboat
04-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Just realized you meant crawling from the the open bow- i saw cup holder and read incorrectly. Makes sense. Thank you.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Well I was talking about BOTH sets of tower legs. :)

For the FRONT set of tower legs, you need to get under the open bow, and scoot on your back untill under the cup holders. You can easily reach up and access the underside of the deck. On the port side, though, there is the spotters seat storage compartment that is kind of in the way. Your arm is just long enough to access the bolts and use a socket set to tighten.

For the REAR set of tower legs, I was talking about the regular cabin speakers. Four speakers in the main cabin of the boat. Have to unscrew the speaker near spotters seat and drivers seat. Lay on your back on the floor and reach up to get at the bolts with a socket set. Might have to be someone with skinny arms. That part is kinda tough and the foam is itchy.

:) :) hope that helps!!

Salty87
04-10-2009, 08:32 AM
my buddy's sunsport only has 4 interior speaker holes...2 in the bow and 2 in the back. you can open holes behind the trim panels or observer's seat.

mikey's right about the itch too, wear a glove or long sleeved shirt.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-10-2009, 08:59 AM
I didn't know that! Well if it's real tough, I have a thread where a guy cuts into the gunwale on his Mariah to make additional storage similar to the gunwale storage w/ cupholders seen on newer boats. That would give you access...

Salty87
04-10-2009, 09:34 AM
I didn't know that! Well if it's real tough, I have a thread where a guy cuts into the gunwale on his Mariah to make additional storage similar to the gunwale storage w/ cupholders seen on newer boats. That would give you access...

i want to do that. i have teak on those panels...tired of them. too much teak on the 87's, even more on the older ones.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Mine has over 72 feet of 1/2" teak :) I am thinking of trying to sand and seal some but I am thinking it might be a baaaad project to start.

I will try and post that link tonight.

https://forum.supraboats.com/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=77

Salty87
04-10-2009, 03:17 PM
i sanded mine the first time i worked on it. the cleaner/brightener kits are the way to go. a little scrubbing with a brush and you're ready for the oil. it takes longer to remove everything than prep it.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah I did the swim platform last fall. It took a few hours but not too bad. My platform has beveled edges all over the place though so it went slow in places. Will get pics soon.