PDA

View Full Version : Sub?

ol88
04-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Thinking about putting a sub in a sealed box under the console. Anyboby have any tips on keeping the batt charged? I keep an extra batt in the boat now but really just dont want to run down the batt at all. Guess I will just need to leave the boat running whe nthe the tunes are on

spudski67
04-09-2009, 09:26 AM
I have that set up with a 1200 watt amp that powers my sub as well as all 6 of my speakers. It is just a 10" sub, nothing huge. I have only run the battery down once after having used the stereo (loudly) for about 2 hours straight. Normally, I will just make sure I start the boat and let it idle every hour or so and no problems. There are plenty of ways to install a perko switch too and run two batteries. I always keep a jumper pack on the boat just incase.

Salty87
04-09-2009, 09:40 AM
yeah, if you've got the extra battery already you can wire it in for pretty cheap. perko switch is the cheapest but you manually have to work the switch. for a little more $ you can use a relay or isolator that will take care of it automatically.

tg0824SSVGG
04-09-2009, 09:49 AM
I highly recommend using an isolator - that way you have a battery that is always charged for starting - and you only draw from the "other one" for your toys.

The isolator takes in current from the alternator, and charges both batteries without
you having to remember to move the switch - but isolates them when being
"used".

I used one from "Hellroaring Technologies" in my last boat - a little more expensive
than a "diode-based" isolator - but they also claim far less power loss across the isolator. This one also allows you to "combine" the batteries with a small switch if
you really need to - so that the power from both is available to both.

I even had a remote switch at the helm to combine the batteries from there (on
that IO boat, the batteries were inthe back, with the engine).

http://hellroaring.com/marine.php

TayTay
04-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Here is a link to the thread about the stereo I just put in:

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=3662

If you have any questions, just let me know. I ended up using the the Perko Switch, but I heard great things about both. Depending on what kind of battery you have and how long you are listening to the stereo is going to determine how long it will last. Last weekend my wife had me turn on the boat stereo in the driveway for 3 three hrs while her and her friend were washing cars. We took the boat out later it still started right up. I run everything off of one and if it dies, I will switch to 2 to start and then back to 1 to charge back up. Hope this helps some.

wotan2525
04-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Get the blue-sea add a battery kit and problem is solved. Seriously... you'll thank yourself later.

jonyb
04-09-2009, 02:08 PM
You mention adding a sub, but a lot depends on the amplifier you use and the current draw from it.

A perko-switch just tells the alternator which battery to charge.

Starting the boat and idling does not charge a battery.

the best way to upgrade in your case is to add a new battery, such as Stinger or Kinetic, and use the Stinger SR200 isolator. The isolator keeps the stereo battery isolated from teh starting battery until the boat is running. Then it opens the circuit, but the alternator still isn't enough to charge both.

The main battery page: http://www.stingerelectronics.com/search.aspx?delineateQuery=battery

The isolator: http://www.stingerelectronics.com/productDetails.aspx?delineate=735&CategoryID=-1&ParentID=-1

ronald
04-10-2009, 11:59 PM
My boat has two batteries and looks like it has some kind of solenoid. Is that better than a perko switch? To be honest I don't know what system is in this boat.
Ron

Salty87
04-11-2009, 11:24 AM
sounds like it could be a relay, stinger? 4 wires?....a red for each battery, ground, and activator wire.

perko switches are fine but you have to remember to flip the switch accordingly. there can be a pretty steep penalty for forgetting...being stranded. towing membership is a great thing to have if you're in the right area regardless of your wiring.

relays and isolators remove the possibility of forgetting. some say the relay causes the secondary battery to not get a full charge. if your sound system is so big you need every tenth of a volt you can get, it might be a consideration.