PDA

View Full Version : Underwater transom light

iflysupra
04-09-2009, 06:27 PM
I have a 22ssv supra and im wondering what would be the best model and manufacturer for an underwater transom light. I been looking around for the last couple of weeks and there are so many manufacturers so I wanted to know who made the best product.

TayTay
04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Check this thread out:

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=3688

jonyb has a pretty cool set up on there. seems reasonably priced as well.

michael hunter
04-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Go to Wake World forum there is a post about testing and comparing differant brands of
underwater lights.

cptsupra
04-10-2009, 05:23 AM
^^^ http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/679956.html?1239308765

They are not going to complete the test until this weekend (Easter Weekend). I am interested in seeing the results. I have a brand from two years ago that is I don't think is business anymore. They are the same shape, layout, and size led's as the Bullet Lines, except they don't have a power regulator in line. I have the blue ones and in Lake Murray, aka Lake Murkey, SC I get about a 10 foot semicircle behind the boat while at rest and about 30 feet along the wakes when under way. (I believe the use while under way is illegal, but looks cool as hell in secluded areas). I would post pics, but currently don't have access from Iraq.

jasonba1
04-10-2009, 11:15 AM
I would defintly wait for the wakeworld test because there was a few guys that found a the mfg. of these lights directly in hong kong and are going to be testing these as well and if they turn out they are going to do a direct group buy from hong kong and they will only be like 80 dollars for a set. I am going with these if they turn out

jonyb
04-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks Tay Tay. Something to remember about mine is that they're cheap. I've got $80 in the whole deal. They won't be as bright as some, but it's something.

To the OP, I also recommend the WW thread, BUT most of the lights they're testing so far are $500-$600. You're budget is the most important thing.

On the other hand, I have seen the Bakes lights in person at a boat show, and they're very bright. Those are priced around $170 each and they surface mount. You only have to drill a hole for the wiring. Funny thing. As I was typing that, Bakes Online just called to confirm my order (oil, filter, impellers). Wanted to let me know the gallon oil was out, be in Wednesday, and they'd ship it all out that day....

87SunSportMikeyD
04-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks for mentioning the hong kong group buy I didn't see that on the thread. $80 a pair is right up my alley!

tg0824SSVGG
04-10-2009, 02:16 PM
John,

Is anyone actually looking at these? I realize it's more holes in the transom
than what the lights in the wakeworld discussion - but pretty cheap compared
to them as well:

http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-spotlight

Click on the photo at the top to see what they could look like.
Todd

Salty87
04-10-2009, 03:20 PM
i have some of those ^ led's on my deck (house) that look exactly the same, the housings at least.

you might mount those on starboard or something to reduce the # of holes in the boat.

DKJBama92Mariah
04-11-2009, 08:39 PM
First thing, I'm not trying to pee in anyone's cheerios here, just adding some insight. I'm not so sure I would trust the integrity of my transom to either of those thru-hull lights.

There is a reason all of the underwater gear on our boats is made of bronze ;).

That being said; It's your boat, your call. :)

EDIT: Just to clarify, I have no problem with lights that just screw in from the outside with a small hole through the transom for the wires to pass through; just load it up with 3M 4200 to make sure it doesn't leak. I just don't want to see somebody taking a 3 in. holesaw to their transom only to fill the hole with a $100 chinese made POS that'll corrode away in a short order.