PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Trailer REDO!!!

mapleleaf
04-10-2009, 10:49 PM
So I brought my trailer home today, after welding up some new step bracket's and hanging new fender's on it. Don't know if I can post close up's of the weld's (first time welding!) What a cool deal! The grinder helps make everything nice...
Anyway getting it painted this week and will then rebunk and light..
I am curious about the amount of flex in the trailer and if that's normal.. Seems to have a lot bend in it just from hopping on it at the rear. It's flexing in the frame rails more than the leaf's springs. Is it because I'm bunkless right now, maybe I dunno?
That's my Pop's on the grinder, I never would've finished today without him, 15 hours door to door, 5 hours of driving. Anywhere over 65 and that empty trailer she vibrates like a massager.

mapleleaf
04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
more pic's at home tonight...
The steps would've been bigger if somebody hadn't forgotten some angle iron in the city....

csuggs
04-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Leaf -
You'll be glad you did all that when you're finished! Looks like it will be a great improvement.
Did you cut away part of the inside of the fender? I think that's what I need to do because my boat sits above the fenders instead of between them - which is where I would like it to be - lower in the trailer. That would make it easier to launch.

Clint

mapleleaf
04-11-2009, 09:35 AM
C
I did do a cut out, I basically +
blueprinted the the original fender and then will put the carpeted ply back as a buffer to the boat.... it was fun, excited to see it painted and rust free....and black not pink!!!

DKJBama92Mariah
04-11-2009, 09:12 PM
leaf,

How tough was it your first time welding? I've had the itch to get a MIG unit for a couple years now.

mapleleaf
04-11-2009, 10:16 PM
DKJ,
I should'a stepped up years years ago, this is the future... I will continue welding for a longtime.... A little nerve racking at first, and the moment between dropping the mask and going blind takes some getting use to, but I think I laid a couple nice beads and it felt awesome..The welds really are stronger than the steel. We were working with a 120V wire feed unit, probably the baby in the metal working field. Now bending the 1/8" steel is a different story, still have some work to do there......
Trailer primed today, topcoat on tues..