PDA

View Full Version : Please talk to me about your boat battery

scmarketing
04-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Michael Littman, former Marketing Director at Skier's Choice. Working at an ad agency in Louisville Ky. Have a chance to work with a company that provides boat batteries for the marine industry.

Appreciate your help on this.

Curious as to your opinions on different brands of boat batteries. Got a favorite? If so, why? Good experiences with any brand? Bad? Did your Supra dealer offer you a choice of batteries, or did you just take whatever brand they put into the boat? Does the brand of boat battery matter? Are any batteries better than others?

You get my drift. You can answer me here, or send me an email at [email protected].

As always, thanks for your good advice.

Michael

tg0824SSVGG
04-13-2009, 10:01 PM
I really like the Optima batteries I had in my old boat.

I did not get a choice when I bought - got what was in the boat.

TayTay
04-13-2009, 10:21 PM
I have two Optima D34M batteries in my boat. Haven't got much use yet this spring but so far they seem awesome. My max has been three hours of stereo without the boat on and then it started right up. Not too much experiance, but so far they seem great.

michael hunter
04-14-2009, 08:47 AM
I use only Interstate batteries. Probably because my brother in law is a Interstate dealer.
I have not had any problems with them. He also carries Optima. I asked about upgrading
he said that it would be overkill and not worth the extra cost. They are made for extreme
conditions like racing or off road.

Salty87
04-14-2009, 09:00 AM
i have optimas now, mainly because i store them in a spot that's hard to reach. don't have to check the water level in them.

i had interstate's before and was happy with them. there are other batteries i've been reading about that are getting good press. sears has one, can't remember some of the other brands. then there are the 6 volt golf cart batteries some people use with bigger sound systems. those are often used on larger boats for overnighting too.

i'd say the brand def. matters when it comes to boat batteries. getting more than just 2 or 3 years is pretty important when you've got a couple of them. the big stereo crowd kind of pushes the market, imo...at least in the wakeboard class of boats. optimas started showing up everywhere a few years ago and only recently have there been serious alternatives.

i'm surprised there isn't a more marine version of the 'golf cart' battery. big, heavy, long lasting.

saltare inverts
04-14-2009, 09:35 AM
I have optima batteries in my boat and all of my vehicles. Last a long time. I hear good things about stinger batteries. Similar to optima but much smaller. I would be open to any sealed battery that is deep cycle and lasts.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-14-2009, 10:44 AM
I buy whatever marine batts are on sale. Bought a large starting batt for $100 and a deep cycle for $61. Not even sure of the brands unless I looked. SurePower battery combiner. Maybe I'm not your target market. :)

mapleleaf
04-15-2009, 07:42 PM
My '90 Conbrio came with an interstate, and hasn't caused me any trouble....yet. Last time the boat ran was oct. so we'll see if my trickle charging cycle over the winter worked.....
Don't know how old the battery is, so it wouldn't surprise me if I had to replace it.. My thought's are that sealed batteries are the best; auto application and marine.....

JUST-IN-TIME
04-19-2009, 05:05 AM
i always liked flooded batts in boats, only down side is checking them

not a fan of optima's, because tthey say only 10amps max charge, i do not know of one marine alternator that puts out 10amps only!

i have seen more failed optimas then any other battery out there

oddessy makes all the sears AGM now and they are coming on top tier fishing boats

Diggs
04-21-2009, 01:57 PM
I have to agree with my negative experiences with optimas. I think it all depends how you use them. I have had two sets of Optimas in two seperate boats and I could not bring them back to life on both boats after about 8 months. We really use them to power a pretty good sized stereo system and have the boats parked and turned off for long periods and they just don't cut the mustard over time. I have had good experiences with Kinetic and Odyssy's though.

jonyb
04-23-2009, 07:58 AM
I don't think Optima's are any better than the Marine batteries that come on them.

My suggestion, is to install them in a better place. When I got my boat, you couldn't even get a backpack in the console.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/jonyb1/Supra/DSC_3404.jpg

After some work, I made it better.....

Diggs
04-27-2009, 05:42 PM
I totally agree about installing them in a better place. I always have mine remounted under the big seat that you have pulled out in your pic jonny

H2Oman
04-27-2009, 07:36 PM
I have had good luck with both the Interstate deep cycle and the Optima blue top. When living in Phoenix I had to replace my Interstate battery each year. The Optima lasted for a year in Phoenix and another two years in Texas.

I am now running 2 Interstate deep cycle powering 3 amps. I turn off the battery switch each time I get off the water. I also charge them once every two months to ensure they are getting a full charge. These batteries have lasted me 3 years so far...

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
04-29-2009, 06:33 PM
I have to agree with my negative experiences with optimas. I think it all depends how you use them. I have had two sets of Optimas in two seperate boats and I could not bring them back to life on both boats after about 8 months. We really use them to power a pretty good sized stereo system and have the boats parked and turned off for long periods and they just don't cut the mustard over time. I have had good experiences with Kinetic and Odyssy's though.

I have 3 Optimas in my boat,so far no problems. I did however install a permanent marine battery charger that stays in boat and provides 7 amps to
two batts for my stereo on switch #1 and 2amps to backup battery on port
#2 on switch.I have heard that Optimas take a little extra work to recharge
and that they recomend recharging in pairs at 100amps for 15minutes to blast the sulfide oxidation off the lead,. then follow up with a steady 7amps till batteries are recharged.allow batts to cool after 15 minute at 100 amps.

As for the best battery to use for a large stereo is a pair of 6volt golf cart
batteries wired in series, apparently this would give me 3 hours stereo run
time compared to about a hour with my Optimas. I have 3 amps that draw
about 80 amps.
I will see how the Optimas perform this summer if they do not meet my needs I will swap out the 2 feeding my stereo and try the 6 volt golf cart batteries as thier reserve capacity is supposed to be best compared to any 12volt
battery.( wish I had known this before I bought my Optimas)
live & learn> Dave

OUI
04-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Interstate -- it's the only battery -- regardless of the application.

OUI
04-29-2009, 10:30 PM
2002 Launch SS Owner -- I think you need a generator.

jonyb
04-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Or something better than Optima..... And 2 6V golf cart batteries aren't gonna do that trick either.