PDA

View Full Version : rub rail replacement??

mapleleaf
04-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Gonna have to replace the rub rail this spring a and am trying to find a OEM looking replacement, boat's still out of town, so I'm working from memory. Has anyone replaced their's? I recall reading something about the rigid rail being a pig on shipping....Here's one I found at iboats wondering if it might work?
http://www.iboats.com/1_1_2_x_7_8_Rigid_Rub_Rail_V21_9501/dm/cart_id.396101810--session_id.960022205--view_id.271820??

csuggs
04-14-2009, 06:25 AM
I talked to Jim Jackson at Viper Customs and he has some pointers on that project - he also has all the parts. TUrns out he's an x-Supra factory employee and his shop is even in the old Supra plant where my boat was built. His knowledge is very useful to someone like me who wants to do the job right. His number is 865-388-4096, you can tell him I sent ya. (He's shipping parts to me today!)

mapleleaf
04-14-2009, 06:49 AM
He's actually supposed to be sending me a window vent that's missing from my boat, I'll ask him about the rub rail, would much rather get it from him...
He's gotta be some kinda busy down there!

jasonba1
04-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Hey CSUGGS glad to hear Jim helped you out great guy to deal with. Mapleleaf i actually have to go down to viper this week to drop off my heater to have it installed if you need me to check on something for you let me know.

Salty87
04-14-2009, 09:10 AM
from iboats: Items that are over 6' in length must be shipped freight. There is a $170 freight charge for these items and because of this, these items are non-returnable.

rigid and SS rails can't be rolled up for shipping. i can't imagine that being any different for Viper but he can probably help make sure you're getting the right size/shape. the flexible rail i got was the exact same shape as the OEM rigid, don't have to use a heat gun for the corners either.

saltare inverts
04-14-2009, 09:31 AM
I keep hearing about Viper customs on here. He must be the guy to call. I am needing new rub rail also. I guess it would be a good idea to call him. Any objections? Mapleleaf? Salty87?

saltare inverts
04-14-2009, 09:32 AM
I am needing new rub rail also. I keep hearing about Viper on here. I guess he should be the one I call. Any objections? Mapleleaf? Salty87?

Salty87
04-14-2009, 09:43 AM
i haven't dealt with jim yet. i got mine thru iboats.com but i had ordered a bunch of stuff like rubbing compound and other odds n ends.

maybe you should give him a shot and let us know?

csuggs
04-14-2009, 10:51 AM
The reason I mention Jim at Viper is because he's got some parts that you can't find anywhere else - such as the aluminum Supra cover that joins the rubrail together at the transom (missing from my boat). He's just a good guy to deal with, but there are definitley other vendors out there with great things to offer - I can just write about my experience. . . .

jasonba1
04-14-2009, 04:36 PM
The reason I mention Viper so much his because he is only 30 mins down the road from me so I have been to his facility and seen his parts and his work, (hes working on mine now). Also as CSUGGS said he carry alot of parts that are almost impossible to find for older supras, he use to be a supra employee, sold supras, and is not currently operating out of the old supra plant. So very knowledgable and his prices are usually very reasonable. I know he is doing stainless rub rails on mine but as someone mentioned not sure how shipping would work. Could be a great place to start though.

mapleleaf
04-14-2009, 06:09 PM
talked with Jim after work today, he's got the rub rail. I'm trying to figure out what he doesn't have! Anyway, can't say enough about him, he's doing up a package to send me in Northern Michigan when I'm there in May. He almost remembered the original name for the pink Supra used on their boats in 1990, too cool...