PDA

View Full Version : Dual battery installation

cshepard
05-30-2002, 01:16 PM
I am installing a dual battery system with an isolator. I am having trouble figuring out how to "split" the starter circuit (to route to the cranking battery) from the accessories (deep cycle battery). Has anyone tried this? Anthony hasn't been able to track down a wiring diagram for my '85 Sunsport.

Thanks.

Salty87
05-30-2002, 03:52 PM
i've done it with a Stinger relay, this is their wiring diagram:
http://www.stingerelectronics.com/sting_products/sr200_sr80%20diagram.pdf

it was a little confusing but not hard. the diagram shows the 2 positive wires going to the battery but doesn't show the positive wire coming from the starter. so i wired that to the positive terminal of the starting battery. the same goes with the negative wires, it doesn't show the ground coming from the block but you just need to make sure everything is grounded. the ignition power source requires a multi-meter to determine which of your key-switch wires is hot only when the engine is running (i had a buddy help with that). there are probably other sources that can be used for the 'true ignition source'.

your local stereo installation shop might be able to explain it better. i also put rockford fosgate circuit breakers on the positive wires (each battery). i didn't want to mess with fuses because the batteries aren't accessible now, i'd rather throw the breaker(s) if it is ever necessary. (good time to ask them how to wire it all up)