PDA

View Full Version : Transmision Question

saltare inverts
04-19-2009, 11:06 PM
My velvet drive trans still rotates the prop when in nuetral. It is enough that I have to put it into reverse constantly when skier is getting ready. Skidim says its normal on that year and only fix is new trans. That seems suspect to me. Does anyone have any thoughts?:(

csuggs
04-20-2009, 06:41 AM
I have a pdf file on my computer at work that I can send you - it's a Warner Gear Repair and Diagnostic Procedure manual for 71C and 72C direct drive units. I downloaded it from the internet somewhere, can't remember where right now. The manual has a troubleshooting section and includes several scenarios for neutral malfunctions. Could be broken sealing rings or bushings, warped clutch plates, or as simple as a blocked exhaust port on the control valve. Let me know if you want me to email it to you.

Salty87
04-20-2009, 09:14 AM
although i trust skidim, my transmission doesn't do that. i'd look into it further, slapping into reverse while it's spinning forward can't be great for it.

michael hunter
04-20-2009, 10:25 AM
When I run my 89 on the trailer the prop always spins I wedge a screwdriver in the coupler
to stop it. I never noticed it moving the boat in the water. When I pick up a skier I always
pull up next to them on the left side and reverse the prop witch makes the boat swing slightly to the skier. I have been doing this for 20 plus years and never had a problem.
That's how I was taught if somebody knows better let me know if that's wrong.

saltare inverts
04-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Csuggs, please send me the file. I figured it was something in the trans but not sure.

saltare inverts
04-20-2009, 12:09 PM
By the way, I trust skidim also. I probably didnt explain my problem well to them.

csuggs
04-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Send me a private message with your email and I'll send it that way, it's not uploading properly.

milner351
05-19-2009, 10:45 AM
I just had my trans rebuilt by a local trans guy I trust - these units are very simple - the job was about $300. pulling the trans out is not too hard either, but it's heavier than it looks!

My trans doesn't spin the prop in neutral, even on the trailer.

I suspect something inside the trans is worn out, warped, or otherwise damaged.

Curtis
05-19-2009, 06:35 PM
I just had my trans rebuilt by a local trans guy I trust - these units are very simple - the job was about $300. pulling the trans out is not too hard either, but it's heavier than it looks!

My trans doesn't spin the prop in neutral, even on the trailer.

I suspect something inside the trans is worn out, warped, or otherwise damaged.

Dang $300!!??....Got my borg warner back rebuilt for a clockwise turning engine...and my windsor is a counter turning engine for $900 LOL...Ive never been so aggravated with any service in my life!!....Not a big deal to switch, other than the fact i had put the new tran in and was sitting at the boat ramp ready to run, when all it would do is spin out as if nothing was done to it...Back to my shop with the engine lift to pull the tranny off and rotate the direction of it, which didnt take 5 min. after jacking the motor up to free up room...Oh well alls good now, and that was 3 years ago.