PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat Restoration

Okie Boarder
04-20-2009, 10:27 AM
So, I'm back on working the gelcoat and getting it all shiny. I've attached a couple pictures of what it looked like to start and where it is now. I originally started with a wetsand with 2000 grit paper, but it didn't seem to get all the oxidation out. I went to a 100 grit paper and it did the trick. This weekend I finished the wetsanding and got 2 passes completed with the first buffing step, using 3M Super Duty Compound. Now, I'm on to step 2 of buffing with the next level less aggressive, using 3M Perfect-It Machine Polish (Formerly known as Imperial Microfinishing Glaze). Hopefully I can get some done in little bits during the week and finish this next weekend.

Okie Boarder
04-20-2009, 10:28 AM
One more picture...

michael hunter
04-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Looks great Okie.
Did you cover the stripes on the lower hull to protect them?
Do you have a connection for the blue waves?

Okie Boarder
04-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Actually, I've been going over the stripes and they are shining up as well. I caught a section up by the spare and peeled a portion back a little :mad: No, I don't have a connection for the waves. When I did an acetone wipe down it took the light blue off, so they are kind of "phantom" waves now. I may replace them if I can find a connection, or I might pull all the stripes off this next winter. I haven't quite decided yet.

Salty87
04-20-2009, 10:49 AM
is it me or is your starboard rubrail blue?

it's looking good. the yellow accent stripe is growing on me.

Okie Boarder
04-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks...it's coming along fairly well I think. Yeah, the yellow is kind of growing on me, as well. All the rubrails are currently "Painters Tape Blue" ;)

michael hunter
04-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Over flow from the gas fill and vent took the blue out of mine when the boat was new.
I got new ones from the dealer but never put them on now they are 20 years old.
I don't trust them to use now so I took them to a local vinyl shop and had them made.
Cost $35 for both sides with the pattern work. They have the pattern in my file so I can
have more made if you need.

Okie Boarder
04-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Cool. If I decide I want to replace them, I'll get in touch and see about having some made. I may decide to replace those and the stripes, but. we'll see. I think they look OK and I'd rather look to spending money on Perfect Pass and a Tower.

michael hunter
04-20-2009, 12:17 PM
I have seen posts where they have put newer decals on older boats I think they look great I am too chicken to change mine.

csuggs
04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
My blue wave is faded as well. Skier's Choice still has them in stock, but I bet they won't last because every 80's boat I've seen has the same faded wave. I think the die-cut vinyl is the way to go.

Salty87
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I have seen posts where they have put newer decals on older boats I think they look great I am too chicken to change mine.

michael, i think yours would look spectacular with your tower. my tower is so old school i think a newer decal would look odd.

mapleleaf
04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
So I'll be wetsanding and buffing in May, I guess the message is you cross the stripes bridge when you get to it...
Part of me loves them, part of me wants to see the boat with out them.....
All of me can't wait for the oxidization to be gone'. Gonna start with 1000 grit and see where that gets me..
Okie, you're boat looks great, that elbow grease is definitely worth it!!!:cool:

Okie Boarder
04-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Yeah, the stripes is one of those personal things and one of those deals where you deal with it when you get to it. Thanks for the compliments. Hopefully I will get it buffed nicely and get all the swirl marks out, then protect it with a couple good coats of wax, so she'll be good to go!