PDA

View Full Version : Made a BIG BOO BOO! Any Advice?

TayTay
04-20-2009, 04:42 PM
So I was in some rougher water this weekend and one of my Amps came loose. SO, today was remounting and thinking, hey lets use a longer screw, like a dumb a$$! Anyway the screw went through the hull. The hole is very small but does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it! Any help would be great!

tg0824SSVGG
04-20-2009, 05:43 PM
YIKES -

Remember, it could ALWAYS be worse (unless this IS you!)

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/688110.html?1240073056

I would talk to a gelcoat/fiberglass guy.

saltare inverts
04-20-2009, 05:49 PM
They have gelcoat repair kits on Overtons.com. They work well from what I have heard. You color match and apply.

mapleleaf
04-20-2009, 06:26 PM
doh! west marine has the same kit for gel coat repair.....Here in Canada we save those screws for the other side of the wall!!!!

Hope she's repaired and water tight before tooo long......

TayTay
04-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the info. Luckily its a ways above the water line. I put a dab of caulking on it for now, hopefully that wasn't another no no. I will look into the gelcoat repair kits. The crappy thing is that is went through the decal. We will see what happens with it. Should be fixed soon!

TayTay
04-20-2009, 08:01 PM
HAHA I just looked at the thread on wakeworld. NO, that is not me. I just had one and it went though the port side about a foot above the water line. That sucks though for that other guy. It seems he would check after the first screw and see what it looked like, but nope, he finished the dang project, haha. Well, like you said, it could ALWAYS be worse...

Salty87
04-20-2009, 10:59 PM
it never goes the easy way. when i bought my boat, the previous owner didn't have a trailer...kept it in a lift. i hadn't seen the bottom of the hull until a good month after i bought it and got it on a trailer. sure enough, a previous owner used a 4" lag bolt on a motor mount...poking out the bottom of the hull.

marine tex is the easiest but it's epoxy based and gel coat doesn't stick to it according to the directions. i've never tried but some people say gel will stick to marine tex. marine tex can be colored, never tried it though.

you'll prob want to use poly resin thickened with chopped strands to fill it in from inside the boat. a layer or 2 of glass wouldn't be a bad idea. once that sets up, gel coat the outside to match.