PDA

View Full Version : 4k Rpm

bellsons
04-21-2009, 07:59 AM
1984 supra rider
chevy 454
holly 4brl

I took her out for the first time.
I got her for a song, but i've had to work my way down the chain of "next" problems because she wasnt cared for before by the last owner.
She sat for 3 years uncovered and un appreciated.
My "next problem now is @ about 4K rpm she starts to choke out.
I plan to check the basics like air filter and fuel filter. I'm going to take the tank out and flush it too.
What other suggestion do you have for me?
What about the spark arresters that cover my exhaust. The bugal plunger looking things with 20 rings. Do they restrict my exhaust/water flow?

csuggs
04-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Welcome to Supra ownership - and the forum - and congratulations on your purchase. The covers on your exhaust are the supertrapps and are the only restriction that is on your exhaust. You can take the center bolt out and pull the supertrapps apart to see if there is any debris behind them. I would start with a fuel filter cartridge - could be dirty enough to begin starving the motor at higher rpms.
There's lots of help here from experienced novices - so you came to the right place!

Salty87
04-21-2009, 08:21 AM
with a boat like that, you've got to consider everything questionable. i'd put a new impeller in, a tune-up kit, new plugs and wires, and fuel/water sep filter. your carb might be acting up too. power valves blow easy with backfires, cheap and easy to replace.

can't wait to see some more/hear some more about your new boat.

michael hunter
04-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Stick with what Salty said that's where I would go Good luck.

87SunSportMikeyD
04-21-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm upgrading propellors and I have been told not to exceed 4500rpm with a 1:1 transmisison.

You should be happy with the Supra Rider! Post some pics if you haven't already.