PDA

View Full Version : Supra Rider Wave Logo

chautauquasun
04-21-2009, 01:14 PM
I purchased an 1984 Supra Rider last fall. The stripes and gel coat are in good condition but of course the wave decal is faded out. I have noticed this problem on all of the older supra models...stripes look good but the wave is completely faded.

Anyone have any ideas on where to find a replacement. I have seen other threads about going to a sign shop with rubbings of it...but was wondering if anyone has any easier ideas. I did find a guy on ebay that has a wave logo that is similar and said he can modify it some to possibly fit. Any ideas or help would be great. I want to keep the classic look.

Also I am planning on tuning the boat up in the next few weeks and was consider replacing the points and coil. Rather than doing that would it be recommend to replace the points with a electronic conversion kit.

Looking forward to some warm and dry weather to get started on it.

thanks

Dan

csuggs
04-21-2009, 01:41 PM
I think that if you are going to replace the points anyway, do yourself a favor and go with the electronic ignition - I recently did that and the motor ran flawlessly last week when I had it out.

The following thread shows what I did to mine this spring, tune-up and all.
http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=3709

wotan2525
04-21-2009, 02:41 PM
If you can find a decent photo of the logo, I'll redraw it for you in vector format and you can take it to any sign shop and they'll be able to recreate it very cheaply.... unless I'm confused and this wave logo is rainbow colored?

Rob

riveredge
04-21-2009, 04:40 PM
I actually got an OEM wave logo (for an '89) from a supra dealer here in New Hampshire, pretty reasonable I think - about $25? A vinyl shop could probably do the same, but the one from Supra looked good, matched in color, no questions asked.

Blackntan90
04-21-2009, 07:07 PM
My local dealer has hooked me up with wave decals, put them on the cooler! He also gave me the newer supra "sparkle" drip-molded decals- guess I've spent a few bucks on other stuff so he just says 'take em'! It never hurts to ask!

chautauquasun
04-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Rob

Do you have an email I can send the pics to? I have the basic dimensions and have some boat pics that may give you a good idea of what it should look like. Any help would be great.

thanks

Dan

wotan2525
04-22-2009, 03:04 PM
I do freelance graphic design and rework logos all the time.

I just found this, though.... http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/88922490/88163.html Any sign shop would be able to take that vector artwork and change/resize it to your specs.

chautauquasun
04-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. Appearantly Skiiers Choice is still MFG the decals for the older boats. I took your advice and contacted a few Supra Dealers via email and had one respond that they can order them and drop ship them from the factory to my door. I will give them some positive PR because they are the only dealer that responded and also were very helpful. I may have been able to get them cheaper by going to a sign shop but then their is the aggrevation that comes with that process.

PJ at Bob's Beacon Marina in Newbury NH helped me out and was very customer service friendly. His number is 603-763-2920 and email is [email protected]. He said he helps with a lot of Supra restorations and maybe a good resource for hard to find old parts. If you need decals I would recommend you give him a call.

chautauquasun
04-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Here is a pic of the logo that is still available and that I ordered.

csuggs
04-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Here is a pic of the logo that is still available and that I ordered.

Are they available in lefts and rights? Where did you order from?

chautauquasun
04-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Yes...there are two seperate part numbers for left and right side decals. I ordered them from PJ at Bobs Beacon Marina. See my earlier post for their contact info.

jasonba1
04-30-2009, 02:39 PM
You can also try viper customs I think he has them

87SunSportMikeyD
05-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Hey that new logo looks really good! Did you have to replace the whole stripe or just the wave? Did you remove the old wave first?

chautauquasun
05-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Thats not my boat. That is one of their customers boats that had bought the new logo. Yes I believe they replaced all of the striping as well. My striping is still in pretty good shape I just needed the wave. On mine the wave is still on the boat but it has faded to white so you can see it at all. Not sure if I am going to remove it or just but the new one over it. I will see when I get the decals in and see how they fit because the new ones are a little different. I will probably remove the old ones though just to have a clean surfact to adhere to.

Once I have them in and on the bought I will send you pics of how it turned out.

thanks

csuggs
05-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Thats not my boat. That is one of their customers boats that had bought the new logo. Yes I believe they replaced all of the striping as well. My striping is still in pretty good shape I just needed the wave. On mine the wave is still on the boat but it has faded to white so you can see it at all. Not sure if I am going to remove it or just but the new one over it. I will see when I get the decals in and see how they fit because the new ones are a little different. I will probably remove the old ones though just to have a clean surfact to adhere to.

Once I have them in and on the bought I will send you pics of how it turned out.

thanks

The light blue wave did the exact same thing on my boat - 1986 Sunsport Skier.

supermoomba
05-08-2009, 10:14 AM
HI. The decals are available in port and starboards. There are three sizes that I am aware of: 6" high / 8" high / 10" high that are available. The older style I am told is the lighter blue. The "newer" style is a medium blue. Let me know if you need help ordering. PJ

chautauquasun
05-08-2009, 01:38 PM
I received the decals in the mail today. They look that perferct and am eager to put them on. As soon as I do I will send you the before and after pics. Hoping to take the day off on Monday and get up there.

D

chautauquasun
05-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Was with the boat today. The decals are smaller than the old ones but I think I can center them to make the look good. Did not afix them today. To many other projects got in the way.

riveredge
05-13-2009, 02:23 PM
The gray boat is mine, and thanks, I was very happy with how it came out. Did not have to replace the stripes at all, in fact you can't get the striping any more except by getting the individual colors separately. I very carefully wet sanded right over the existing stripe, and removed the decal around it very carefully also by hand. The new decals were, in my case, the 8" and they were actually a little bigger overall than the old. If you look closely (not in the pic, it's a cell phone pic) you can see where the old decals lined up. But you have to be closer than 12" away to see that, and like I said I'm very happy with how it came out in general.

I used an "eraser" on a buffing wheel to get the old ones off, and it took about 20 minutes, not counting compounding afterward to clean up the area around it... the erasers are cool but expensive, I think, if you're only doing this once.