PDA

View Full Version : Decals or No? Whats your opinion...

TayTay
04-22-2009, 12:55 PM
I was messing around on paint, seeing what my boat would look like with no decals. Here are some proofs. On the starboard side, the decal is pretty dinged up, the port side looks alright, excpet that screw I punched through the side last weekend. Just seeing what peoples opinions are...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/TaylorAR/DSC05997.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/TaylorAR/DSC05997NoSDecal.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/TaylorAR/DSC05997NoDecalsonblack.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/TaylorAR/DSC05997NoDecals.jpg

wotan2525
04-22-2009, 01:56 PM
I never really liked that style of decal, myself.... I think your boat looks GREAT without it. My $ .02

csuggs
04-22-2009, 02:22 PM
l like version 3 with just the wave

Jon
04-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Go all or none, just my opinion.

indyeng24
04-22-2009, 02:45 PM
I like the look without the main decal. I would leave at least the wave if not all of the stern decals.

saltare inverts
04-22-2009, 03:37 PM
I also like version three with waves.

Salty87
04-22-2009, 03:45 PM
i like it with just the roller or nothing.

TayTay
04-22-2009, 04:15 PM
I appreciate all the input. That may be by next project, taking off the decals.

Blackntan90
04-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Pic #2 is best IMHO

klewis
04-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I like it without the main decal. But if it was me I might see what it looked like with just the Launch 22SSV decal. It might make the boat look more current.

mapleleaf
04-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Clean 'er right off....She's so sleek without 'em.... Seeing your third shot tells me what I'm doing with our boat!!!!!

Irish_Jack
04-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Hey man. I agree with Maple on that one. I'de leave the wave on the stearn though. I think the only problem with some decals, not all, is that they can look dated...
https://forum.supraboats.com/picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=88
https://forum.supraboats.com/picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=83
Mine looked pretty dated and they weren't in good condition any way. So I changed them...

TayTay
04-23-2009, 01:35 AM
I like those. They look very clean. It seems like it would be hard to get a decal that wasn't dated, unless you go custom, or just keep buying the decals for the newest boats that come out. The consensus seems to be that it looks better without the main decal, at least. I will probably take that one off to start. How big of a job is that? Would a blow dryer and some acetone do the trick or am I going to need something different. Thats what I used to take off the old registration numbers. We will see what happens. Might give me a little project to work on. Thanks for all the input!

mvd
04-23-2009, 03:15 AM
I would pick version 3

jonyb
04-23-2009, 07:38 AM
take'em off... So happy I did that with mine.

tg0824SSVGG
04-23-2009, 08:22 AM
John,

I remember a nearly identical post of yours a while back - complete with
photo-shopped pictures.

Did you take ALL off, or just the extra ones on the gunnels?

csuggs
04-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Irish Jack - I love what you did with yours and that shine is awesome! Beautiful boat! I would like to do similar with mine, but since it lacks color I'm not sure how it will look with the stripes removed.

jonyb
04-23-2009, 01:53 PM
John,

I remember a nearly identical post of yours a while back - complete with
photo-shopped pictures.

Did you take ALL off, or just the extra ones on the gunnels?

All on the side except for the Supra and the swoosh above it. The rear Supra is still there, along with my business decals on each side of that. Did I not put the after pics up?

Edit: Before and after decal removal here: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3792

86Pirata454
04-23-2009, 11:39 PM
2 is the best imho

Irish_Jack
04-25-2009, 07:24 PM
I like those. They look very clean. It seems like it would be hard to get a decal that wasn't dated, unless you go custom, or just keep buying the decals for the newest boats that come out. The consensus seems to be that it looks better without the main decal, at least. I will probably take that one off to start. How big of a job is that? Would a blow dryer and some acetone do the trick or am I going to need something different. Thats what I used to take off the old registration numbers. We will see what happens. Might give me a little project to work on. Thanks for all the input!

Use a heat gun if available it has more power and will heat the decal up more quickly thereby releasing it better... I actually found the decals I wanted by chance... I was just looking through an 08' Supra catalog and found a pic of a light blue sunsport with my exact decals. Judy Welch design is based in Milwaukee and she obtained the dimensions and print texture.

JohnnyH
04-27-2009, 04:31 PM
I like the second from the top

H2Oman
04-27-2009, 07:44 PM
TayTay, I liked the second pic.

jonyb - your boat is incredible. Looks like you put a ton of love, sweat and $ into it! Great job!

bellsons
04-27-2009, 11:12 PM
keep the waves.

how did you change your pics like that

TayTay
04-28-2009, 06:04 PM
If you are good with photshop, then you can use that. I am NOT good with photoshop so I used MS Paint. Just open your picture in paint, take the eye dropper and click on the black, what that does is select the color you clicked on. Then just use the paint brush to paint over the decals. If you dont want to deal with it, post a pic up and I will do it for you. It will give me something to do at work.

gerdy
05-12-2009, 10:02 PM
i like pic #2

denwbaseball
05-14-2009, 09:19 AM
No decal....

USMCloeper
05-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Im goin through the same situation i am trying to design some custom launch decals for it to get rid of the 2000 ones i dont care for them. i have some fonts that i like but not sure to go with them. has anyone else tried to get this done or approx costs i know to get the wake they said 25 each. I have 1" dark red striping now with a black 1/4" accent stripe let me know what you think of the fonts

truckerhucker
06-12-2009, 09:48 AM
i like pic number 2

Salty87
06-12-2009, 11:28 AM
TAY TAY...what did you end up doing?

RED WINE ROCKER
06-15-2009, 10:29 AM
OK.....I like the big "S" graphic...yeah its the same one as mine but i also think that particular graphic is the best one SUPRA made of that style.......i think its kinda plain without it.....now if your a little older i can understand the(less is more) classic look to be appealing.......and i also feel that on some of these new SUPRAS they have gone a little TOO far with graphics...(read: yuk!)

My one side is a little messed up & i intend to replace it.....did you price the graphic kits?....although i was wondering what a big BODYGLOVE sticker or HYPERLITE logo of the same size might look good......and now i think of it, i've always been a sticker kinda guy.:smile:...so....its your canvas man- you go!

TayTay
06-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I still have all of my Decals... My wife thinks they look good. I have been super busy with School and Work so the boats mods are kind of on hold. I am just trying to get out on the water as much as possible.

TayTay
02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
So I am bringing this post back from last year. I am still wanting to at least take that main decal off. My question is, HOW different is color going to be under that decal compared to the rest of the boat. The boat is 5 years old now. I'm sure there will be a little color difference but will it be too much to match with a good buffing and waxing? Input would be great!

TayTay
02-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Here is another perspective on it...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/TaylorAR/Boat/AllDecals.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/TaylorAR/Boat/NoMainDecal.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/TaylorAR/Boat/OnlyWave.jpg

jet
02-22-2010, 12:17 PM
I like the original..if it was a older boat I would say pull it..but Its a cool sticker. keep it.

dusty2221
02-22-2010, 12:25 PM
At first I was gonna say option 3, but then after those water shots, I'm on the fence....I like it how it is and with nothing...

csuggs
02-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Really comes down to personal preference. I mean, if I were to look at any of the 3 pics by itself, I would not think that one had too much and another too little. All three look good - it's a sharp boat. I think my personal preference is with the original decal. Is the decal in good shape?

TayTay
02-22-2010, 12:45 PM
That is one of the reasons, I was thinking about taking it off it because it is pretty dinged up. From a distance, you cant tell, but up close you can.

My big question is how different is the paint going to be under that decal. Will a good waxing and buffing bring the colors close or is it going to have to be wetsanded or something like that.

jzelt
02-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Just a thought, but would what has caused the damage to the decals have been done directly to the gelcoat instead? I would rather it be sacrificial decal and noticeable up close. I would imagine with 5 years in the sun there will be differences in color.

TayTay
02-22-2010, 01:44 PM
I am sure that the damage would have been to the gelcoat. That damage was there when I bought the boat. I am very careful around docks and always put the fenders out etc. Since I have owned the boat, there have not been any new dings in the decals, just the originals.

ssmith
02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
I like #1 & #2. However, if the decals are dinged, then go with #2 IMO. Or just strip them all off and get the boat ready for a full wrap...just an idea.

TayTay
02-22-2010, 03:13 PM
I would LOVE a full wrap, but I dont have $3k to drop on one of those right now. I have my first little one on the way and gotta be saving for that. Right now I am working on low budget projects. Someday though, I would love to get one.

Kip
02-22-2010, 07:31 PM
I like option 2 the best.

As far as taking them off a heat gun will help out a ton. When I removed the old decals off of my boat i also used a eraser wheel. I got the eraser wheel from an auto detailing supply company and used a cordless drill to run it. It works amazingly well but you have to be cautious because you can burn the jel coat :(.

As far as color fade our boat is an 1988 and I was very surprised how close the color came back with an aggressive buff. I still put decals over where the old ones were but it should be faded it is a 22 year old boat.

TayTay
02-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the input. One of the Launch decals I need to replace so I might take that off and see what kind of fading I have and base my decision on that. I am going to contact Jim and see if he has what I am looking for.

ssmith
02-23-2010, 12:11 AM
TayTay,

Jim has my boat right now. He is pulling off the "upside down swoosh" (for lack of a better term), leaving the supra name on the side and installing new updated graphics. He's only charging a $100 to remove and install the new ones. I was a bit worried about doing it myself for the very reasons you are. What about fading, etc.....? Now, with it in Jims hands, I have no worries. Mine should be similar to this after its done. I'll post pics when I get it back. Good luck.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/supramod.jpg

dusty2221
02-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Off topic, but hey Scottie-who is the manufacturer of that Bimini? Mine is below the tower and I love how out of the way yours is. From what I understand some came from the factory like that, but surely someone knows who made it

thanks, sorry to threadjack

ssmith
02-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Off topic, but hey Scottie-who is the manufacturer of that Bimini? Mine is below the tower and I love how out of the way yours is. From what I understand some came from the factory like that, but surely someone knows who made it

Dusty,

That isn't my boat (sorry for the confusion). That's just a boat I found with the graphics I'll be getting installed. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure how my bimini actually is...I'll have to look:confused: Maybe someone can give you an answer.

jonyb
02-23-2010, 01:46 AM
I like those graphics on the boat Scottie posted. I'm considering pulling the last remaining Supra and swoosh off the side of mine for those graphics.

KY Steve
02-23-2010, 08:40 AM

That style bimini came from the factory, it is very simple and works great in my opinion. It only uses one bow, folds up and snaps to the back of the tower, any canvas shop should be able to duplicate it from looking at pictures.

If you want more pics let me know and I'll see what I have of mine.

Salty87
02-23-2010, 11:41 AM
the fading will depend on how well the boat has been covered. under the sticker will be almost like the day it was made...it's the rest that's faded and that depends on how much uv time it's gotten. wet sanding or compounding will help, depends.

almost forgot my vote...i think it needs something there. i'm not a big fan of the superman s, the 'supra' above looks pretty good. something about the pattern and contrast of the black/red on white hull bottom, it's a little busy and makes the black area seem empty with no sticker....to me.

TayTay
02-23-2010, 12:54 PM
I agree with you not liking the superman s. I really like the plain 'ol supra better. We will see what I want to do. First thing is that I am going to replace one of the smaller decals that needs it and I will check the fading and see how bad it is. Thanks for your opinion!

dusty2221
02-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Tay- Look at the other thread about decals someone has posted about. What if you added the silhouette of supra in red in place of the superman graphic and took all the others off? Check out the one I made in paint to get the idea. I think your color combo would look pretty slick with just the red outline of supra right in the middle. I think it would keep it from looking "empty" and also will hide a bit of discoloration if you have some.

Thoughts?

TayTay
02-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Something like this?.....

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/TaylorAR/Boat/OutlinedDecalShore.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/TaylorAR/Boat/OutlinedDecalWater.jpg

dusty2221
02-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah, but I'd go ahead and ditch the launch and 22ssv decal also, did you see the all black one I did in the "Decal Help" thread?

TayTay
02-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Ya I saw it. It looks sleek. There are so many opinions and so many options! I will figure it out. Thanks for everyone's input.

JoHNI_T
02-25-2010, 03:27 PM
white SUPRA emblem would pop nice,, ditch the waves and keep the SSV,,, thats the look8-)

TayTay
02-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Ya, I think that would go good as well. Just so many options!!!

Looks like now we have a Johni T and JonyB, lol.

jonyb
02-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Looks like now we have a Johni T, lol.

Hope he's not as much trouble as the other one....