PDA

View Full Version : Packing replacement

Knute
04-23-2009, 01:13 AM
I've got a 2002 Launch SSV. The propshaft is 1 1/8" and the packing is 3/16". I've been told that I need to install 3 ropes but when I was pulling the old ones out there were 4. If anyone could advise me which is correct, I would greatly appreciate it!

H2Oman
04-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Knute, when you put in 3 ropes, how far down do you tighten the packing nut? If it goes down most of the threads, I would put in a fourth. Over the season, I tend to tighten the nut a little as I see the water drip increase. Then replace as needed.

csuggs
04-28-2009, 09:15 AM
If you continue to have problems, you might want to check out a mechanical seal. My boat had a PSS shaft seal (no packing) when I bought it last year. I don't know when it was installed, but I'm guessing that it's at least 6 or 8 years old and it still works great. Never a drop of water around the shaft log.

Knute
04-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks guys! I was able to fit 4 in and still get a few turns on the nut, so we'll see how it goes....hopefully I didn't get it too tight. I'm also trying the gore-tex packing from SkiDim, so I'm optimistic at the moment.

boatin_nut
05-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm new to this guys, so i was wondering how you view the water drips as stated above? I constantly get water in my bilge area after having my packing replaced last year. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance