PDA

View Full Version : Reset a Check Engine Light?

jonyb
04-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Last season at the end of the year, I had an issue with my boat. It's an 07 24SSV with the 340HP engine.

Dropped off the trailer, idled out, then sped up to about 35. After a few hundred yards, the boat kind of stuttered and died, then the CEL came on. The boat restarted fine, but wouldn't go over 3,000 rpm. I shut it off, waited a few minutes, then started it again. Ran fine from then on. The CEL came on for the rest of the year, and still came on this year after the first time I started it. There were probably only about 10-12 starts between now and then. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the fuel filter, but not sure.

Is there any way to clear this? I don't have a local dealer or Indmar service center anywhere close.

tg0824SSVGG
04-23-2009, 08:20 AM
John,

I never found a way - and Indmar holds the reader stuff pretty close. If the code
doesn't clear after a number of restarts - I think you're stuck.

On mine, if the CEL comes on when the perfect pass is on. It will stay on, you
can't turn it off, or even adjust the speed. VERY frustrating.

Is there ANY boat dealer near you, even Mastercraft? they also have Indmar
engines - and while they may not be able to download new "firmware", they
can read and clear codes. Just a thought.

Todd

TayTay
04-23-2009, 11:08 AM
When I had a problem with my '05, I took it to a Malibu dealer and they were able to reset the codes on mine. I was in limp mode so there no going anywhere fast. They had no issues resetting it though.

jonyb
04-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas. The Malibu and MC dealers are 2 hours away in Nashville. There's a Centurion dealer that I do audio work for, but I haven't asked them. May not be any luck there though.

Fman
04-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Make sure and take it to someone who knows what they are doing. My boat is in the shop right now because the originaly dealer I bought the boat from (who lost Supra boats) loaded the wrong software on the ECU which has created a problem. They could not even figure out how to get the maintenance required prompt to reset after installing a new 02 sensor. Now my perfect pass does not work because it cant communicate with the ECU.

I have the boat at a Supra dealer and they are correcting the problem by installing the proper software for the year/engine type on the boat. Just be careful you dont take it to someone who does not have experience with this, it can create a headache for everyone! I would only recommend an authorized Supra dealer.

WadsworthSunsport22V
04-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Last season at the end of the year, I had an issue with my boat. It's an 07 24SSV with the 340HP engine.

Dropped off the trailer, idled out, then sped up to about 35. After a few hundred yards, the boat kind of stuttered and died, then the CEL came on. The boat restarted fine, but wouldn't go over 3,000 rpm. I shut it off, waited a few minutes, then started it again. Ran fine from then on. The CEL came on for the rest of the year, and still came on this year after the first time I started it. There were probably only about 10-12 starts between now and then. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the fuel filter, but not sure.

Is there any way to clear this? I don't have a local dealer or Indmar service center anywhere close.

I had a similar/same problem with my boat. I have a 2007 Sunsport 22V with the 340. It took almost 18 months to solve the problem. Chicago Sea Ray (where I purchase the boat, and will never purchase anything from again) just went into the mode of swapping parts. They never tried to fix the problem - then they wanted to charge me because because of their mistakes, even though the boat was in warranty!

The challenge was that the boat's computer would never through ANY engine codes. The boat would always show check engine. Anyway, about year ago, I moved back to Virginia and my new dealer/shop ("The Boat Shop") work hard on it. Everytime the check engine light would come on, he would stop what he was doing, and try to figure it out. Towards the end of the season, we think it is solved. (I have only been out once since fix, so I am not ready to say IT IS Solved). Check my post
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=2228

In short, my harmonic balancer was not seated correctly.

WadsworthSunsport22V
04-23-2009, 05:00 PM
One more thought, your description is almost identical. I could launch, tool around, but the moment I gave it any gas and the boat hit 30 or so, bang the check engine light turn on. Chicago Sea Ray even replaced my ECM - but it did not do a thing. I strong encourage you to call Indmar and ask about the 07 harmonic balancer.

This problem is VERY much a PIA!

jonyb
04-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the advice Wadsworth.... The problem only happened once, but the CEL is locked in and shows up everytime I start it.

doesn't anyone from SKIERS CHOICE or INDMAR check these boards?

WadsworthSunsport22V
04-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the advice Wadsworth.... The problem only happened once, but the CEL is locked in and shows up everytime I start it.

doesn't anyone from SKIERS CHOICE or INDMAR check these boards?

I do not think anyone from Indmar or Supra looks at these boards. They should. I have found that over the phone both Supra and Indmar are very helpful, but the NEVER call back.

jonyb
04-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Yup. I've had other issues that took forever to resolve. My dealer was the same way about return phone calls except I wasn't asking questions, I was trying to buy parts.

jasonba1
04-25-2009, 06:27 PM
hey jon call jim jackson he can help you im sure of it. 865-388-4096

jonyb
04-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Okay, thanks Jason!

WadsworthSunsport22V
04-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Yup. I've had other issues that took forever to resolve. My dealer was the same way about return phone calls except I wasn't asking questions, I was trying to buy parts.

My current dealer "The Boat Shop" is great. I wish I purchased my boat from him, but I did not know I was going to move so soon after we purchased the boat in Chicago. The only good thing about the dealer in Chicago was the sales person, he always helped, but he is no longer there.

It figures, make a major purchase, then have to move! I have found Skiers Choice and Indmar never return calls, but when you do get someone live, they are very helpful.